Is this a gas "leak"?

This is the first time I’ve ever even tested for a gas leak in this area of a furnace. Got a definite positive reading here but I’m not sure if it should be classified as a leak, as it is near what I’d call the jets. The furnace was not running during this test.

111408 151.JPG

Anybody know the answer? You get a free prize!

Writeup for HVAC contractor. There will be some presence of gas present at the burner orifices when the gas valve shuts down and will take time to dissipate. Honeywell had an article about this an the correct method of testing is a device called a bubbleometer.

Thanks Gary!

P.S. You are the winner of a free chicken fried steak plate at Eddie’s Restaurant in Hickory Grove, SC!

Lots of questions are needed. Had the furnace been recently run? How large of a leak did it detect, the detector can pick up small amounts of residue. Have you ever tried sticking the probe in the fire (haha)? Did you know that your detector can identify a cracked heat exchanger?

Did you smell gas?

I never use mine unless I need to narrow down what I suspect.

Those things are so darn sensitive they think pipe dope is gas.

That being said the Tiff has helped me save a few lives ,I am sure.

No.

Unless you have more information to add about sniffer reactions in other locations…

The header is not purged at shutdown.
There is gas in there. There is no way for it to get out.

What David said.

Thanks for all the feedback. I didn’t write it up. Too many unanswered questions. Referred it to an HVAC guy for other issues, however.

Paul, enlighten me. How can a sniffer detect a cracked heat exchanger?

Oh no… those cooking Chickens are as far South as S.C. now? :shock:

Using AGA approved mathane/nitrogen gas injection test method for one. :|.)

We rip open a 12 year old gas-fired furnace, pull out the exchanger, and find a crack.

So cool. It’s HVAC training from your office chair!

Coming soon…

It’s here.

Many inspectors are weak in the HVAC area. Myself included.

Until now. Advanced HVAC training video.

$199. Limited time only price. Price goes up when the next course comes online. Buy now. Watch later. Unlimited viewing.

It’s 21 CE credit hours. That’s $9.47 per hour.

Learn HVAC from your comfortable couch.

2-min commercial