Is this a knob and tube component?

Hi, my daughter found this recently and was wondering what it is. I thought it looked like a knob and tube component, but I’ve never seen a dead end piece like this before. The bottom is (I think) copper. She lives in Ireland. Can anyone tell me? Thanks!!

It looks like an old fuse to me.

3 Likes

that would be my guess as well…but just a guess…

1 Like

Interesting. Do you know how/where she found it? In the home? Basement? Attic? Garage? Yard?
I have to agree with Tom resembling a ‘fuse’. I’ve never seen anything like it associated with K&T. Tubes and knobe are made from ceramic as they are intended to be insulators. Copper just doesn’t fit the scenario.
Let us know if you find out anymore details.

Looks to be some numbers and/or letters in the area circled, which may help figure out what it is.

Thank you! If it is a fuse, I’ve never seen anything like it. She found it in her yard, along with a 1936 penny.

…Hang on, I did find this, perhaps this could be it?
https://www.partssource.com/parts/ge-healthcare/46267217P2?pspn=ps74bkcakch

1 Like

knob-and-tube-wiring

this is what knobs and tubs look like.

1 Like

Who you calling “tubs”? :angry:

1 Like

Maybe. The overall measurements would help determine that, as well as the lettering/codes/logo on the unit itself as Jr. mentioned.

1 Like

;~}

1 Like

Typo. Tubes.

Duh, really? :roll_eyes:

is it toooooooo early in the wiki to b shizfacd

1 Like

It could be a type of transformer fuse similar to the one in this pic. Being 6.5 to 7" long makes me think it’s larger than something used for a standard home component.

I’m gonna take a stab in the dark here…

2021-08-16_154938

2021-08-16_155145

Good eye JJ. Didn’t think about the measuring tape being in centimeters, which would make it roughly 2.75" Thus, it’s a bullet… :crazy_face:

1 Like

It would help if we could see the other end, but it is obsolete, so who cares.

1 Like

Possibly one of these type fuses, missing its tip.

3 Likes

I think it is just an old fuse missing the tip at one end.

1 Like