Is this considered Spalling?

I see a minor crack in the finish and flaking of the finish coat that was smeared or brushed on the foundation chamfer when the stucco was done.
Spalling, flaking I guess pretty close.

2 Likes

I’m with @mcyr on this. Someone could have smeared grout on the wall with a sponge float at some point as well and now there’s a bonding issue. Either way, with only the picture to go on, I would call it minor spalling.

2 Likes

or flaking,

3 Likes

A spall is defined as flakes of material that are broken off of a larger solid body. So, is it paint or concrete? I cannot make that determination from the photo. Certainly water lays on that surface which may promote spalling (especially in a freeze climate)

1 Like

Only something I may note for informational, but really low on the list if it even made it to the report.

2 Likes

Looks like the same material as the wall losing its bond.

1 Like

I can’t imagine putting that in a report…I guess if it was the only item I found …yeah no …that wouldn’t be in my report…I don’t comment on the carpets either…

1 Like

In my day at this, I would not even have mentioned it.

3 Likes

Have to earn $400 somewhere Marcel… :stuck_out_tongue: Just kidding by all means… :wink:

I wouldn’t either… :wink:

2 Likes

Agreed, I would be more concerned more about these types of cracks (depending on severity and how widespread).

2 Likes

Sort of, but not really.
It is an indication of moisture issue there however.

Because it is a “coating” rather than masonry component, is why it is sort of…

1 Like

Concrete paint peeling, easy peesy

1 Like