Is this flashed correctly?

Greetings from South Africa!
Thatch roof!
Actually this is shoddy flashing.

Inspection details: The thinner the grass used as thatching the more dense the roof will be and the thinner the overall layer can be. So a roof thatched with 3mm grasses can be thinner than one thatched with 7mm reeds.

As far as the chimneys: one done right and one done wrong. Slop that sealant on!

Very cool stuff! :slight_smile:

(Is there going to be a quiz when you get back?). :wink:

:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Fun…thanks for sharing, Kenton.:slight_smile:

Wow, would love to see the differant building codes you have there, does the fence have juice ?

how do they keep that from catching fire?

I wish you had taken Charley B with you. I would love a picture of him on this roof. You did walk it, right? :wink:

And there he is.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=4719259220443934&id=cac77697ad494dc187ddd91afa3656af:):mrgreen::wink:

Shucks that would have been a walk in the park appears to have lots of toe holds.

Did ya know those roofs types were how the term raining cats and dogs came to be as they used to sleep in the roof and when it rained they got washed out on to the ground:D

More pics Pleeze:D

Seriously Charley?

I’d like to but let’s see what I can some up with. Supposed to go out and look at more things today.

glad I dont have to inspect thatched roofs. Cool to see, folks still using it today though.

I think you’re required to wear snowshoes to inspect these roofs.

Actually, two weeks ago they got 14-16" of snow about 30 miles from where I am.

Hey Kenton I did not have to travel but a 100 miles to find one of these roofs;-):smiley: OKC zoo

They have reasonably good written standards:

• National Home Builders Registration Council
  • South African National Standards
  • National Building Regulations

The problem is enforcement of the codes.

Like this home. The architect designed it with the ceiling too low. you could reach up and touch it easily. The builder went ahead and built it according to plan. They both should have known better, probably did know better, but didn’t care.

The owner hired Eric, who I’m working with out here, to snag it. Snagging is what they call inspection of a new home in many parts of the world. During snagging, you’re looking for code violations and bad building practices.

When Eric caught the low ceiling the house was about as far along as you see it now. They had to disconnect the whole roof, jack it up and build the walls higher. The weren’t very good at shoring. They broke trusses. It was a mess.
Check out the truss tails, you can see the gaingnails!This house cost about $300,000, so it’s not a cheap house!

See that drive with all that red soil. At first there was no drain in the drive and the hillside drained into the garage. The stonework is terrible, just terrible! The list goes on and on.
Eric makes really good money snagging and supporting the homeowners in court.

I’ve driven through Oklahoma, Charlie. Every time you hit a bug it’s like someone threw a water balloon filled with mucus at the windshield!
So the zoo might as well have tropical architecture to match those tropical-size bugs. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I’ve seen one thatched cottage in Ojai, CA and another in Virginia. Only two I’ve seen in the US. I don’t know how they pass fire regulations, even here they have to be treated with a retardant. Plus, where do you find someone qualified to install thatch in US?

Thatch does decay too. In valleys and above chimneys and dormers.

Are you recommending an ice shield!:mrgreen:

Kenton, how much longer will you be there.

Sure nice to see all that you post from there.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

The roofers are not allowed smoking on the job.
Drinking is still permitted.:roll:
If not there would be no roofs installed.:wink:

• If it gets Ice&watershield you have to wear ice skates
  • I’m due back at the end of October
  • Here’s the roofing crew, not a cigarette or beer in the bunch! And this Trumpeter Hornbill was right up the road chowing down on an insect hatch.