Is this wrong or just not preferred?

Originally Posted By: dbush
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Sorry, I don’t have a picture, but easy to describe.

2 pole (220 volt) breaker 50 amp. Black wire goes to breaker and out to outbuilding, white wire is not attached to the breaker, but is attached to the neutral bus in the panel box.

First time I have seen one that the neutral wire on a 2 pole breaker is not attached to the breaker itself.

Is it wrong or just different?

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jpope

I’m not sure of the technical answer to your question, but this is no longer a 240V circuit (if that is what was intended).

I would guess that it would not be allowed simply due to the fact that there is extra resistance (friction, not ampacity) to the mechanism trying to open (trip).

Just thinkin' out loud. ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psabados

Hey Dave

Single wire on a two pole (220) breaker is providing only one leg of power or 110 vac. Did you see a neutral and ground also going to the outbuilding?

Paul

The neutral and ground wire go out of the panel together with the hot wire through the romex and then I lose sight of it.

Dave

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Dave

What is being served from this circuit? (what is in the outbuilding)

Mike P.

Mike, it is a barn with one horse stall. I’m guessing the previous owner had an air compressor in there because of some indentations in the ground and a nail hanging where a hose can hang by the door.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

I don't really see it as a concern but if you are looking for a reason to flag it, that installation would not be following the manufacturers installation instructions since the two pole breaker is meant to be used for a 240 volt circuit, not a 120 volt circuit.

I am not following the extra friction theory, since only one leg would have to be overloaded in order to trip the breaker thereby de-energizing both legs, even if one is not currently being used.

Jeff, maybe you could elaborate on that friction theory.

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: roconnor

dbush wrote:
2 pole (220 volt) breaker 50 amp. Black wire goes to breaker and out to outbuilding, white wire is not attached to the breaker, but is attached to the neutral bus in the panel box.

Sounds okay for a 120V feeder to an outbuilding. But the question in my mind would be what is connected to the other pole of that breaker ... ![icon_question.gif](upload://t2zemjDOQRADd4xSC3xOot86t0m.gif)

Also note that when ya see a 240V circuit with a black and white wire attached to a dual-pole breaker, the white wire really should be marked ("reidentified") with black tape or a black marker so that everyone knows that is now a hot wire. I think thats a very common problem, but IMHO not a really big problem. I wouldn't call for a sparky just because a white wire was used as the hot without being marked.

Just my 2 nickles ...

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Nothing was attached to the other pole of the breaker.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Dave,

Do you doubt my wisdom? ![icon_cool.gif](upload://oPnLkqdJc33Dyf2uA3TQwRkfhwd.gif)

Joe Myers

Joe, Never. icon_lol.gif

Dave Bush

MAB Member