ISHI - FISHI?

Originally Posted By: tgardner
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just came from a realtors office where I was asked if I offer a free appliance warranty with my inspection. I replied that no, I don’t. Do you know of a home inspector that does? She replied yes! A-Pro does.

I asked if they were also selling long term warranties. She said Yes! they do! At that I asked if they were licensed in VA to do so. She said NO! I don't know. Then she gave me their Brochure and sure enough, they offer all those things. I checked their website A-Pro.net and it says that it's "pending" ( their ability to offer such warranties in VA). The brochure also said the inspector was ISHI certified. The website had a link- I linked.

In VA one must have an insurance license to sell warranties. Does anyone know about ISHI "International Society of Home Inspectors"? Or A-Pro where they advertise "NO EXPERIENCE NECESSARY!!!"?

Tim Gardner

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I read once where this a open door for liability. The client thinks all repairs are covered by the warrany agreement. More like 50% of the repairs are covered. And of course they’re the minor ones. Pass the Tylenol please.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: ekartal

I sell Commercial HVAC service agreements. Here is an example of a FULL COVERAGE parts and labor agreement. The exclusions are:

Compressors
Condenser coils
Freon
Leak Tests
Hardware
Gaskets
Filters

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: tgardner

It turns out that ISHI is an organization that was started by the franchisors of A-Pro Inspection Services. They have offices in the same building, and if you register on their website, you receive your confirmation e-mail from the A-Pro representative. They are NOT licensed to sell home protection (warranty) insurance in VA as they advertise.

Clever marketing though, they name each referring RE agent an additional insured. ( hold harmless)

FYI - tg