Island Vent Question

Good Afternoon,
Just did an inspection on a “Flipper House”. In the attic the Vent Stack through the Roof was cut off and the ceiling was finished over, Sink was moved to to an island I believe. I am to understand one way to go is that the Vent can be configured to loop as high as it can go inside the cabinet before heading under the floor and over to the main vent in the wall. But a much more common option I see is the AAV. Is it possible to determine if Option #1 was done without opening the Cabinet?
Always appreciate your’alls input

When you said “flipper” it just makes you want cringe. First, is that vent penetrating the roof capped at termination above the roof?

2 Likes

Is the last picture an island sink cabinet?

Matt is that an open roof penetration with the pipe just cut off in the attic?..there are multiple issues with those pictures…

3 Likes

What do you mean exactly by “opening the cabinet?” My experience has been that the high loop would be visible under the sink, behind the cabinet doors. So yes, you would have to open the cabinet doors to see it. Is there a section of the cabinet not visible by opening the doors in your case?

1 Like

Vent is not capped, I noted the Moisture Intrusion potential for that. And yes Chris, that is the cabinet under the Island Sink

1 Like

Hey Ryan. This config is was I was referring to when I referred to what may be the potential Venting option that may be on the interior of cabinetry. Just don’t know if it is done correctly but hidden

2 Likes

Ryan more often than not the piping is in the half wall behind the cabinet.

5 Likes

You really can’t Matt without opening the wall. I would just test the drain for proper operation and move on from there.

4 Likes

If this is an island with back to back cabinets you would think you would be able to see the outlet box and the high loop by opening the cabinet on the backside of the sink base.

always appreciate your help Martin. To Thomas’ point, a Flipper House always gets my Spidey Sense riled up. Drain seemed to work fine.

5 Likes

Martin, would a AAV work too behind a half wall without a loop?

No way in from behind i’m afraid Scott

2 Likes

Yes, I guess if there is a portion of the cabinet not visible, or as Martin said, a kneewall, the high loop could be hidden. I was thinking of more the off-the-shelf big-box store type cabinet with just a big open area underneath.

Flippers do not have to fix everything, but I hate it when they make it worse. You would think they would remove the obsolete vent pipe and patch the roof, no?

Also, was there another vent thru the roof at another location?

1 Like

Is there a basement/crawlspace with any access from the underside?

1 Like

Hey Brian, yes there was a large vent as well (3-4")

1 Like

Well, I hope they at least capped the pipe, lol.

South Florida 1985 Build…nothing there Dean…thankfully

Yes it would work just fine it will always manage to find air from someplace. Technically AAVs should not be installed in walls. It’s a mechanical device and mechanical parts do fail.

3 Likes