Ivan the Terrible

Originally Posted By: jpeck
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I sure hope that Hurricane Ivan loses strength before it makes landfall.

165 mph SUSTAINED winds. Gusts to 195 mph.

That's almost the winds in a tornado, except that this thing will not fly through like a tornado ... and it is MUCH larger than any tornado.

Hopefully, like Frances did at the last minute, it will lose strength, but it is just getting ready to go through the part know for strengthening hurricanes, and it just went through the area known for weakening and sucking the wind out of hurricanes - and all it did was get stronger. Hope that is not a bad sign.

If we are lucky (we being everyone on the Gulf and Atlantic coasts) Ivan will turn north NOW and scoot out into the Atlantic. Once it gets too far toward the Gulf, there is no way out but to make landfall. Which could be Florida (where Charley and Frances just were), Texas, or Mexico.

I certainly hope this does not become known as *Ivan The Terrible*.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dbush

Unfortunately Jerry, I think that no matter where it goes it is going to be REALLY ugly. Just watching the news this morning and it damaged/destroyed 90% of the homes in Grenada.

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: dfrend

My prayers are with all of you in FLorida. I really hope this loses strength.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: rkulla

I was wondering where Ivan was. icon_wink.gif I haven’t seen him post for a long time. Man, you guys in Florida can’t catch a break. It’s got to be getting really old. Good luck!!

Rex Kulla

Custom Home Inspections

Maple Grove, MN

(612) 799-3093

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I guess we’ve gone from “the three little pigs” to the the three not so little hurricanes.

Sure hope that thing goes out into the Atlantic and makes some waves.

Originally Posted By: mzwerin

We’re looking closely at leaving Florida as we’re still w/out electricity… and we don’t wanna be here for even further devistation from Ivan.

On the upside, managed to squeak out two inspections so far this week.

What are you others planning on "if" Ivan comes close by?

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

My grandfather just called and said he was getting out of florida till things straightened up… So they are coming up here. I think he was getting wathcing the weather channel…

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I must say, if it looks like it is coming this way I will board the house and get the heck out of paradise. It sure aint like I’ll be missing a bunch of business or anything!

If you come this way let me know.

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

Originally Posted By: evandeven

I still have my shutters down from Frances! I haven’t fixed the screens over my pool either.

At least I got out in the ocean today. Seas are going up over the weekend so no fishing. icon_cry.gif

At least I have power. Several friends of mine in Palm Beach don't. One has a well for his water supply and with no power, no water either.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I wouldn’t wish this misfortune (3 hurricanes) on my worse enemy. I hope that everyone fares well and this indeed does pass out into the Atlantic for everyones sake. Stay safe.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

We have folding shutters. I can close the house up in less than 10 minutes.

That does not guarantee the roof will stay on through a Cat 4, though.

IF Ivan the Terrible comes, I'll close the shutters, hook the camper to our F350, and head on outta Dodge.

Guess I'll post a photo of the truck and camper in case something happens to them during the storm.

We'll take the F350 and leave my van. The van is a full size conversion van, by it looks so small next to the real TRUCK.

[ Image: 2004 F-350 Crew Cab 4X4 - full hauling our camper around ]

Truck and camper, camper is 36 feet and plenty of living space (living room opens to 14' wide).

[ Image: If Ivan hits at a Cat 4 or stronger, we're outta here. ]

Heard that they may be air lifting the patients from the hospitals in the Keys. You know they are serious when they do that.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I’m praying for a right turn again. I gotta say, Florida is pretty but you guys can have it. I’m a mainland lubber.

WELL …

Right about now the Alabama / Louisiana / Florida Panhandle coast is starting to be really pounded by Ivan.

I can only hope that all of our inspector friends (heck, even those who dislike us) are out of harms way. This means about 200 miles or more from the path of this monster hurricane.

Any one not out now is just going to have to ride it out.

Take care, stay safe, and hope to talk to you in a couple of days when power and phone comes back on. Well, cell phones in a few days maybe, power may be out for weeks and weeks.

Anyone in the path of Ivan who wants to should post their cell phone numbers here, so we can try to call you after the storm passes.

You may not have power much longer.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

That is one big strong mother. If they have the path right it’s gonna run right up through Alabama. We’re in the western-most edge of the projection here, which hopefully just means lots of wind and rain and not much real destruction. Dang it, just when things started hopping again.

Whatever happens I'm glad you guys in Florida are catching something of a break this time.

Time to sharpen the chain saw.

Brian A. Goodman wrote:
Whatever happens I'm glad you guys in Florida are catching something of a break this time.

Thanks, but now it's time to worry about you guys and those closer to the storm. Of course you are referring to those of us not in the Panhandle of Florida. They are also getting hammered with this.

Quote:
Time to sharpen the chain saw.[/color]

Too late for that, should have done that last week. Now is the time to just crank it up and hope it is sharp enough. ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

This is where Ivan is now (8 am EST).

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Thankfully it’s weakened quickly over land, already down to a Catagory 1. The footage from the coast doesn’t look too bad so far, mostly a lot of downed trees, sign and awning damage, and general scattered debris. Flooding will be the next big concern. Best of luck to all in the path.

Brian, regardless of how many trees are down, 12 are dead already. That is plenty serious.

Best wishes to all affected by this and all of the recent storms.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store

A section of the Pensacola Bridge has collapsed… I have driven on that many times…

Gary (Snicker’s) Johnson - Free NACHOS

The NACHI Foundation

Executive Director

301-591-9895

Not good…

![](upload://pSQ8SPXtxxNcS6q8dtY62MHWfNX.jpeg)

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895