Jerry Peck! Can you help with...

Originally Posted By: hgordon
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hey Jerry…I am in the middle of writting a report, and further eval of a photo I took in the attic of a gas water heater duct revealed this!! Scorching!!

Could you please give me the call out...
![](upload://fO9KqskPgGeOXmQH8ea6jhRkkDo.jpeg)

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Not just the scorching! That dang vent is not connected to the flue / vent flashing going through the roof. Nothing like pumping all that combustion by-product gases back down inside.

I'm not even sure you have minimum clearance to combustible material either.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

I got the clearance…it just looks too close…it is actually about 4"…and yes I know about the connection to the flue…but how do I call the scorching?

Looks like Type B gas vent (double wall) which only needs 1", however, if that is single wall, it needs 6".

Once wood has been heated to that stage, its ignition point has been lowered (mental blank on the terminology for that right now). Now, it likely needs more clearance.

Is it actually charred, or just darkened?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Charred and darkened.

By the way Jerry...I am working on a report of another house in Pines..have a question that is too difficult to type..could you call me at home? 954-227-9727

Harvey,

I must have been already gone from this when you posted the above. I came back on to check before hitting the sack and found this, but it's 11:30 pm, to late to call.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida