Job Question

Originally Posted By: Robert Ewing
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Looking at changing careers and have interest in Home Inspection, I’ve read up on a lot of things and got a lot of good info from these forums, but wondering how the overall job market is for Home Inspectors?

Won't be able to start until next year, but looking towards the future now.

Thanks For Any Feedback

Robert

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Don’t quit your day job.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: jbehling

You sound a little bitter this morning Kevin icon_lol.gif

Originally Posted By: jwortham

Must be cold up there in the land of cheese! icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Pretty friggen cold… 29 this morning… cows tits have icycles on them icon_wink.gif

Nahh...he didn't give any details to get himself any help. Don't know his background or the region he lives.....hard to give gelp when we don't know where to start.
Our profession is based on details, so if your not detail oriented, "don't quit your day job!"

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: Robert Ewing

Quote:
Don't quit your day job.

It's actaully quiting me, but thanks for the feedback anyway I'll ask else where, your probably the jerk that did a bad job on my house.

Enjoy

Originally Posted By: tshields

ouch

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

circumstances it will take you 12 to 18 months to get business going. This will differ though based on your area, population and real estate market!

Someone new enters the profession each day, and the average career is 3 years. The average number is skewed partially due to the number of people who can't get business going enough to make ends meet.

Originally Posted By: jbehling

icon_eek.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I would not go into this business intending to work for someone else. The home inspection business is nearly all margin (compared to other businesses) and so it is better to do 2 home inspections a week yourself than to work all week for another home inspector.

I was only able to build up my inspection company to 4 crews of 2 guys per crew by hiring my direct competitors when they were slow. I know this seems wack but I figured every day they work for me, they are not out working on building up their own businesses.

The trouble with competitors in this business (unlike let's say a Pizza shop) is that when you are busy and they are not... they are usually out marketing.

I see a lot of guys count the number of inspections they do each week but they should stop that bad practice. My advice is to treat each day as a work day (regardless of whether or not you have an inspection scheduled)... If you have no inspection scheduled you should be going thru http://www.nachi.org/success_tips.htm and working on your business.

If you don't have an inspection scheduled tomorrow you should still set your alarm clock, kiss your wife good bye in the morning, and tell her you're going to work. Work like your life depends on it... 'cause it does.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: kbowles

Damn good advice! Was that Nick or Knute? Heck it’s 10:30 at night and Nick has me wanting to go kiss my wife…and go to work. icon_lol.gif

Kevin

--
Life's a journey, not a destination.
Aerosmith