Joist notched for anchbolt.

Yep, with Brad…:slight_smile:

Sloppy, sloppy…:(:shock:

Yep. Recommend repair, not the method of repair.

Visual of the standard for joist notching

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/CMS/uploadedImages/Fine_Homebuilding/Articles/252/021252082-01-drilling-and-notch-joists_xlg.jpg

IRC Reference:

So in this case, these notches are considered at the ends, right? If so, then according to the code the notch shall not exceed 1/4 the depth of the member.

I just don’t want someone to throw that back in my face😝

I have to remember sometimes not to have my contractor hat on when doing inspections. Sistering would be a fix, but as an inspector I do not recommend how to repair just that it does need to be fixed. Thanks for the reminder guys.

1/6th at this location (This notch is not at the end). At the end would be to the cut end of the member (there would only be one cut across the grain, then cut with the grain through the end of the member).

BTW: that sloppy extra inch of overcut past the V counts as part of the notch too.

The ends of each joist, beam or girder should have not less than 1.5 inches of bearing on wood or metal and not less than 3 inches on masonry or concrete

I wouldn’t want that house in 30 years! Sloppy.

We’ve no longer have any “craftsmen” in the trade.

Well that sucks. Not enough bearing on the sill. If they had taken their time they would have had plenty of bearing or they could have moved then over a bit. Sure you can blame the guy that installed the bolts but in the end the contractor should have been able to work with it instead of hacking at it.

Without the minimum required 1 1/2 inch bearing at the sill, I would recommend further evaluation and repair recommendations by a qualified structural engineer.

Agreed. Anchor bolts sometimes gets in the way, but it can be dealt with by competent framers.

No residential mason in the world coordinates anchor bolt layout with the framer. The mason is usually one or two foundations ahead by the time the framer gets there. This is just an incompetent/sloppy framer.