Just a question about posts in crawlspace

I am not sure what the squares are for.
The house is from 1994

When you were in there, what do you think you were on?
Soil, cement or OJ Simpson.

3 Likes

Definitely felt like soil. It was very uneven.

Well, then, definitely: LOL!

2 Likes

Looks like moisture wicking up the board, and the block its sitting on looks damp on one side.

Really doesn’t look like treated wood.

Thank you for this.

1 Like

Hey Everyone,

I want to thank you for all of your help, and suggestions. I have heard that these forums can be brutal on people.
On the contrary, I found all of the information pertinent, helpful and to the point.

I may check out the crawlspace again myself just to learn more. But it will be referred to structural engineer.

2 Likes

Sometimes, but normally no more brutal than what a pissed off client, agent, or lawyer/judge might be. So it is good to practice, lol.

2 Likes

Be careful on referring things out to a SE if it may may not even need it. SE’s can charge $700.00 plus just to come out for a look. Don’t won’t to put anyone in a situation that they have to pay for something that is not a structural concern.

1 Like

Just call it out and have it further evaluated by a foundation contractor.

Whatever it is, it’s not correct. Call it out!

What did it taste like? I’ll bet it was this cream.

4 Likes

From the pics it appears to be a fungus-like infestation. Probing with an awl or screw driver might have revealed softened wood (typical with fungus). A mold test would be recommended followed by remediation by a qualified contractor.

I concur. Efflorescence from wicking moisture.