Just finished my kitchen

Originally Posted By: evandeven
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

The upper and lower cabinets are not the same because the manufacturer makes them that way. Jeff, Have you ever been to my house?

The crown molding goes in next month!
I will have to scan in the picture of the original kitchen. All I will say is that it was blue!![](upload://cWiUrQ69rz7lDPlbczA8LHa9xXD.jpeg)

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

The drawer fronts on the right side of the sink plus the “dummy” front on the sink cabnet are crooked.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Hey Jeff,

A new kitchen just makes a home so much more of a home. Nice job!

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Great job Jeff.

Looks more roomy now with much more light. And you got rid of that god-awful ugly wallpaper.

As Greg mentioned, the right side of the countertop runs into the door casing.

Looks like you and the wife celebrated the completion, by the looks of the wine bottle and glass on the countertop. What vintage was it?

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

It also looks like the window is not centered between the cabnets as well as the sink light.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)

Originally Posted By: psissler

Jeff,

Very nice job. I have done quite a few myself. Nice layout.

Originally Posted By: jquinn

Nice job Jeff,

Like Patrick, I too am sick of oak...which is why I used maple too.

The upper and lower cabinet doors you have are indeed the matching set. The light and window are centred...check the angle of the photograph fellas. I'm guessing the countertop is into the doorframe because of a standard sized cabinet. And the fridge opens that way so jeff can get back to the television quicker with his beer.

Now if my wife can figure out how to get me to put that maple handrail installed on the basement stairs...

James Quinn
Sherlock igloo inspections
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada...brrrr

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Looks very good Jeff.

You installed a 45 degree corner upper cabinet but not a matching 45 degree corner base cabinet to the left of the range. You walk into the base cabinet corner and bump your noggin on the upper cabinet?

Still, it looks very nice.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jremas

Thanks again for the comment, much appreciated.

1)molding too close to switches on countertop? YES, the original casing around the window was to be colonial which would have fit. Instead the "boss" wanted a custom maple casing made by a local company. Unfortunately their custom casing is much wider, therefore my original calculation was no good. I had to cut the plate to fit.

2) two tone cabinets? NO, there are some different shades in the maple but the Kraftmaid with "ginger glaze" finish is pretty consistant. Must be the picture.

3) the refridgerator is temporary, not the one that is being installed. The real refridgerator is in the basement but it is too cold for me to bring it up. It is much larger and I have to remove a large living room window to get it in the house.

4) the sink light and window are not centered? NOPE, they are centered, just the camera angle throws you off. OK, they are within an 1/8".

5) the cabinets on the right side run into the door casing? YES it does. Once again, the original colonial casing was planned and the custom casing was preferred after the cabinets were already installed. I actually would have had a nice 1/8" gap with the original casing but again, the boss wanted something different.

Ya see, every job has changes.....even my own. Nothing is perfect either. By the way, my kitchen drops 2-5/8" from the exterior wall to the open area I took the picture from but only on one side, the other side only drops about 2". Believe it or not, this house was built like this by the original owner. They brought the block foundation up too high on the back side and never shimmed out. The front of the home is level from the center to the front.

Wait until I rip the bathrooms out, I don't know what I am going to do with such a dip in the floor in there.

Thanks again guys, great comments.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Jeff,

How about making sure the tub/shower drain is on the low side of the floor. That would be a good start! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: jquinn

Hey Jerry,

Most of us don't lean forward and take a run at kitchen cabinets ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif) ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

James Quinn
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada...Brrr

Originally Posted By: jpeck

jquinn wrote:
Hey Jerry,

Most of us don't lean forward and take a run at kitchen cabinets ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif) ![icon_razz.gif](upload://rytL63tLPMQHkufGmMVcuHnsuWJ.gif)

James Quinn
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada...Brrr

Jeff didn't address that, so I was wondering if he (or the wife) ever hit that upper corner cabinet while standing in front of the square corner base cabinet?? Jeff?? Any problem with that setup?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jremas

Jerry P,

Never a problem with the 45 deg wall cabinet. This is a common setup that i see and it never causes any problem. You would have to bend over pretty damn far. The wall cabinets do not stick out as far as base cabinets.

Thanks to all for the input, much appreciated. Never thought this thread would get so many replies. You folks are great!

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: rpalac

With a floor slant can you serve soup?

I like the oak look or in this case the Maple is very pretty.

I am some what partial to milk crates. There easy to re-arrange, and they match the cable real table.

Where's the keg-erator?

Bob P.

Originally Posted By: rmoore

Jeff?

I just found this thread. Nice job! Now I want a few pats on the head myself. I finished mine just over a year ago after living with what had to be one of the ugliest, and most user-unfriendly kitchens around. Stupidly, I didn?t take any before photos, but suffice to say that the old cabinets folded like a cardboard box when I took them out. This was a ?down-to-the-studs? remodel?new windows, door, etc. I moved the basement stairwell and added the bump-out to create more room. Even had to build a new rear deck. All work, including casting and polishing the concrete countertops done by yours truly (ssshh...don't ask about permits). It helps having a fully equipped woodworking shop in the basement.

Excuse the quality of the photos?my digital camera doesn?t do wide angle. The links are ?off-site? as I didn?t want to clog the NACHI storage.

![](upload://kY9ple5QVHurbfTLvTiFBClkeVU.jpeg)
Other photo 1
Other photo 2
Other photo 3
Other photo 4
Other photo 5

--
Richard Moore
Rest Assured Inspection Services
Seattle, WA
www.rainspect.com

Originally Posted By: Guest

Richard,

That's a beautiful kitchen. I'm fond of the mission/arts and crafts look and I've also done some concrete counters. the ones you made are really, really nice. I liked the brass inlays for the drain board. Nice custom cabinetry, close consistent gaps. Great attention to fit and finish.

Originally Posted By: gjohnson

Richard,

Great Job, I had better not show my wife. She will be on my to reod ours next...

--
Gary (Snicker's) Johnson - Free NACHOS
The NACHI Foundation
Executive Director

301-591-9895