K&T Fire

I got the privilege of going through an old house with Knob & Tube blended with Romex, all connected to breakers that never tripped as the wires melted and gutted the house with fire. What a mess.

mallett 059.jpg

mallett 060.jpg

I had a discussion about this , with a Agent last week. He said the Home Electrical had to be inspected because it had been shut down more the 3 months. I told him that didn’t include the K&T Wiring. You should have seen the mess under and above the home.

So what was the actual cause of the fire?

Do you mean, what caused the conducters to burn? I don’t know.

Just wondering if it was actually a failure of the knob and tube wiring or some other contributing factor.

What brand was service panel?