KAREI Dues Solicitation in Kansas

I got this and thought it well written, polite, BUT to the point.

The top portion is from Paul Romer (a home inspector in St. Joseph, MO) in response to a solicitation for dues $$$$ from the new President of the KAREI group in Wichita that Jeff Barnes set up (Kansas Association of Real Estate Inspectors). KAREI tells everyone they represent ALL home inspectors in Kansas and are the VOICE to the legislature AND Realtors for ALL Kansas home inspectors.

As we all know - KAREI was formed by Wichita ASHI; their Board and Officers are ASHI; their membership is 90%-95% ASHI.

The bottom part of the attachment is the KAREI request for $$$$$

For those that don’t know, Paul Romer is a 12-15 year ASHI member; a past NATIONAL Board of Director for ASHI; one of the 5 founding members of the Midwest Pro-ASHI Chapter; and served as either an officer or on various committees for both the Midwest Pro-ASHI Chapter and the Great Plains ASHI Chapter.

I think Paul is on the same page with many of us, he just vocalized it better. When the HI Bill came up, the KAREI group tried to totally run the show and kept the other inspection associations and groups and their leadership out of everything up front , so now …

…they need the money just like the rest of us do. Home inspectors are drying up due to the economy and lack of work. Agents are using contractors for free, and lenders are using appraisers to report defects, due to the basic reporting from home inspectors. Contractors, appraisers, engineers, even insurance agents are reporting defects, getting the business from the repairs, needed or not, and are all exempt from the laws. Quite a scam, IMHO.

Lenders are simply losing the trust of home inspectors.

Some inspectors are surfing the bottom, and doing these basic inspections for $199 or less. These basic, say-nothing reports are showing up, and hurting the consumers. This is why they want to raise the limit to $10k, so the attorney friends (lawmakers who are attorneys) will make money from the defects we “do not report on” by state law. Agents will not hire us veterans, as we go way above the SOP’s. We must, as the consumer needs to be properly informed about the home, and to protect ourselves. What a game this is; and a dangerous one.

Agents wanted honest, veteran home inspectors out of the way, so they can sell homes and make commissions, and not alarm home buyers, and this is how it is happening. All thanks to Kansas state home inspection “licensing”. The NAR should be investigating what is going on here in Kansas, within the KAR and lobby groups. It is the duty of every RE agent in Kansas to provide the best for their client.

Sadly, most of them are not. Kansas licensing laws are a bare-minimum standard, basic, and allow for almost no reporting of home defects. RE agents are now recommending the buyers to get a home inspector from the licensing list.

This is buyer beware. Lawmakers are wearing blinders, supplied by the special interests.

The local Board of Realtor home sales numbers are down this year so far about 120 homes. There have only been about 800 homes sold so far this year.

There are still an abundance of ASHI brothers who believe licensing is the best medicine for our profession, there is no accounting for what some folks believe and to what extant they will go to prove a point. :roll:

ASHI wants to please the agents, so they will get the inspections. Soft reports, all allowed by law, are now the norm, and placed into play by lobbyists and lawmakers all paid for by you know who.

I have seen some of these low-baller basic reports. Disgusting. It will take lawsuits for people to see the light. Oh. That is what the attorneys wanted. I performed inspections for years, and was never a member of any association. Perhaps I should go back to that.

Be sure and tell your E&O carrier you do… and they will likely not indemnify you. The SOPs are put in place to protect the consumer and the inspector. Exceeding the SOP is not the issue. Documenting the PROCESS is paramount, and consistency is just as important. The SOP is NOT the issue, IMO. The bottom line is that the Inspector is viewed by everyone except the client as the enemy to the transaction; we are the wild-card. Our livlihoods are affected by what the next guy charges. This mode exists because the client is unaware of how vital the role is that we play.

Exceeding the SOP does not protect the Inspector. To the contrary, the more you promise to inspect the higher the probability that something will be missed. I also believe the client can be properly informed as to the general condition of the property, while staying within the boundaries of most SOPs.

GAry… I think we’ll have to agree to disagree on this one;-)

Have you read the Kansas SOP’s?

You only need to check a “representitive number”, which means one per room: (page 5 line gg)

The home inspector shall inspect a representative number of the
following interior systems and components:
(a) Walls;
(b) Ceilings;
© Floors;
(d) Steps;
(e) Stairways;
(f) Balconies;
(g) Hand railings and guardrails;
(h) Countertops;
(i) Installed cabinets;
(j) Doors; and
(k) Windows

This also includes electrical outlets and switches; one per room.

Should we check all of these areas? What if there are more than one?

One step; one outlet; one window, one door; one step; one wall; one ceiling; one floor, etc. Done. A $99 inspection.

When I sent in my application for Kansas licensing, I had to sign a waiver that stated that I had to abide by the state SOP’s in Kansas. I had an attorney look over everything before I signed and sent in my annual fee. Should I fully abide by these rules? If so, I am not being fair to my client, to NACHI, to my CMI codes of ethics, or my insurance provider.

Joe, what say you?

There is no limit to what you can check. You are not being told to only check one per room…you are simply being told to check at least one per room. You can check them all, if you want.

It is similar to the statement in our SOP that the inspector “is not required to” walk a roof, for example. It doesn’t mean that he cannot. He can walk any roof, every roof, or no roof…depending upon his business choice.

SOPs are simply devices to be used for negotiating a contract and determining what the inspector is expected to provide for his fee. You can always provide more (hopefully for a bigger fee)…but never less, without being in danger of breaching your contract.

My point: this is why we have $199 home inspections. They are limited, and agents love the inspectors who do the bare minimum.

Sad for the home buyers who hire cheap, and why my business is off 75% from two years ago. Veteran inspectors will soon be on the soup line, or join in this new, sad industry.