Keeping old reports

Actually I was against licensing in our state, go figure. I was require to get it and it is a joke. An apprenticeship would help but then I will be accused of trying to keep others out of the business. I had a simple solution for our state but it was squashed because they would rather divide the inspectors and get a piece of their paycheck then do the right thing. Most licensing boards end-up being a bunch of cronies doing each other favors.

From where I sit licensing appears to be great boon to people who would like to build large multi-inspector companies off the backs of their employees. This profession will remain tumultuous until some entity can force us all to be or act like employees… wear the same uniforms, operate the same software, write the same reports, sign the same siy non-competes. Fortunately commodifying the profession takes a lot more time, money and resources than simply introducing licensing. :wink:

Interesting, because licensing has nothing to do with my multi-inspector company. We were multi-inspector before licensing. What is has done is given a clear simple path to legal home inspections. A clear path with ****ty schools make it easy to think one is qualified when they have only scratched the surface. So from where I sit many of the newly licensed inspectors could use the guidance of an experienced inspector. This is one reason that multi-inspector companies are the growing the fastest throughout the nation in licensed and non-licensed states. Franchises are probably the second. Go figure.

Storage is cheap, why not just keep them all just in case?

No doubt then your competition has taken advantage of the nearly free licensed labor pool to expand their operations. Of course if licensed home inspectors refused to work for measly wages then your business model would need to change.

Thankfully most Realtors still expect the owner of the business to perform the inspections and most business owners are far too insecure to hire anyone equal or better them themselves. On the other hand very few Realtors are happy with the bait & switch tactics of sending their new trainee out to inspect. I realize the future is multi-inspector, but it’s going to take time to drive out all the independants, we’ll probably retire die first. :wink:

according to California Business & Professions Code:
“7199. The time for commencement of a legal action for breach of duty arising from a home inspection report shall not exceed four years from the date of the inspection.”

HomeGauge keeps mine for 5 years.