Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors Approves NACHI SOP

Originally Posted By: dgreen1
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

For those interested, The Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors accepted the NACHI Standards of Practice as one of three SOP’s approved for use within the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Inspectors will be required to use a standardized Pre-Inspection Service Agreement that informs customers which SOP are being used and provide the customer with either an electronic or paper copy of those standards. The Board also determined numerous other provisions that I will post later. Please remember that all decisions must still be approved by the Legislative Committees that oversee the Board.

D. Michael Green
Member-At-Large
The Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors.

--
Michael Green
1-877-INSPECT/InspectorUSA
Kaesar & Blair Advertising Specialties Dealer

Originally Posted By: John Bowman

Nice. It’s all coming together throughout the U.S. day by day.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Excellent news!

Originally Posted By: jbushart

Way to go, Mr. Green. Thanks for your efforts.

Home Inspection Services of Missouri

www.missourihomeinspection.com

"We're NACHI. Get over it."

www.monachi.org

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

Way To Go!!!

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc

www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org

NACHI - Legislative Committee Member

MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

Quote:
standardized Pre-Inspection Service Agreement

Bull s#!t!

I can understand some required language but the whole dammed thing???? I thinks that's just too much.

--
Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, Kentucky

www.b4uclose.com

Sorry Erby,

I tried to fight it but you win some and lose some. The up side is that experienced inspectors are determining what is going to be in it.

--
Michael Green

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Michael:

Are you suggesting that the Government will provide a contract for all inspectors to use?

Or:

Will there be contract language that is mandated for inclusion within the Terms, Conditions and Scope of an Inspectors existing IOA?

--
Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

The Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors voted to create a standardized Pre-Inspection Service Agreement to be provided to all Licensed Home Inspectors and mandate that they use only this Agreement. The thought was that this way the Board will know that the consumer is being fully informed as to the purpose, scope and limitations of the home inspection.

Michael Green

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Great news. I just got my KREIA renewal invoice and I’m renewing again this year.

Thank you KREIA and Michael for helping NACHI get the Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors to approve NACHI's SOP.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

dgreen1 wrote:

The Kentucky Board of Home Inspectors voted to create a standardized Pre-Inspection Service Agreement to be provided to all Licensed Home Inspectors and mandate that they use only this Agreement. The thought was that this way the Board will know that the consumer is being fully informed as to the purpose, scope and limitations of the home inspection.

Michael:

Is E&O Insurance required in the State of Kentucky?

Were E&O providers requested to provide input with regard to the Terms, Conditions, and Scope of the IOA?

--
Joseph Hagarty

Joe,

No E&O is not required, only General Liability. If I have anything to do with it E&O will never be a requirement in Kentucky unless the Board has the ability to regulate rates and coverages so inspectors are not taken advantage of like they are now. Concerning insurance industry input...we have sought it and welcome it.

Nick,

You're welcome!

--
Michael Green

Joe,

E&O is NOT required.

I am surprised and disappointed that the government takeover of home inspecting (aka "licensing") might, in Kentucky, include dictating how a home inspector will protect himself from litigation. I know of no other industry in any other state that has this much "Big Brother" control.

Since this is not in the actual law and is only a recommendation by the board, perhaps the legislature's judicial counsel will nix it. I sure hope so.

--

www.monachi.org

jbushart wrote:

Joe,

E&O is NOT required.

I am surprised and disappointed that the government takeover of home inspecting (aka "licensing") might, in Kentucky, include dictating how a home inspector will protect himself from litigation. I know of no other industry in any other state that has this much "Big Brother" control.

Since this is not in the actual law and is only a recommendation by the board, perhaps the legislature's judicial counsel will nix it. I sure hope so.

I would hope so too.

Modifying an IOA unilaterally (without consultation with E&O providers) may adversely impact the insurability of many Inspectors seeking to obtain E&O as well as jeopardize those with existing E&O policies.

Is there a draft of the proposed contract available to view?

--
Joseph Hagarty

Presently, there is not a proposed copy of the service agreement as of yet, it is still being developed.

It is interesting that I posted a request for input on this message board last month and emailed Nick before our first full Board meeting requesting a NACHI position statement and got absolutely no response... now I am dealing with complaints about what is done... If NACHI has a desired direction for these regulations then those in power need to get them to me so I can try to get them implemented! Otherwise complaints after the fact are useless.

I am on this Board as Member At Large representing all inspectors in Kentucky and had to fight for inspectors on things such as grandfathering, affordable license fees etc. This is one area where other interests won out...

--
Michael Green

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

Why reinvent the wheel?

NACHI has many years and many tens of thousands of dollar$$$ written into this one page agreement:

http://www.nachi.org/newagreement.htm

The agreement works, protects our members, and is constantly tweaked.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

dgreen1 wrote:

It is interesting that I posted a request for input on this message board last month and emailed Nick before our first full Board meeting requesting a NACHI position statement and got absolutely no response... now I am dealing with complaints about what is done... If NACHI has a desired direction for these regulations then those in power need to get them to me so I can try to get them implemented! Otherwise complaints after the fact are useless.

Michael:

Not a Complaint. Strong Concern.

My IOA was written and reviewed by Attorneys as well as E&O Providers.

I find ludicrous to believe that a group Inspectors possesses the qualification and knowledge to draft a Contract for use by all Home Inspection Businesses in the State of Kentucky.

--
Joseph Hagarty

Mike,

Please don't take my general opposition to government control of our industry personal. I am certain that the input that is made by your board truly represents what you feel to be in the best interest of home inspectors in your state.

If I were a home inspector in Kentucky, I would be asking you and other members of the board to limit your involvement to implementing the existing law and not to impose additional rules. I can hold my legislator accountable for his decisions and actions in the voting booth, but appointees I cannot.

Erby's frustration, in that regard, would be shared by anyone under similar circumstances.

That's why we are rooting for someone to step in and stop a licensing board for adding new rules to the game. They should only be addressing how to administrate those things that are already law, IMO. This should apply to any and all states who share this misfortune.

Again, having NACHI represented is a plus and your input to have the NACHI SOP included is a major plus, for which all of us are grateful.

--

www.monachi.org

Joe,

I agree...but the majority of the Board voted for this provision. Remember our Board consists of 5 home inspectors and five non-inspector members. At present we are operating with only 4 inspector members so we can be out voted on somethings. I'm trying to minimize the impact as much as possible.

Our next hurdle to tackle is pre-licensing training and testing...so input is welcome from all.

--
Michael Green

dgreen1 wrote:
If NACHI has a desired direction for these regulations then those in power need to get them to me so I can try to get them implemented!

NACHI leaves legislative matters to the home inspectors who live and work in the states that they regard. NACHI's involvement has been limited to ensuring the absence of association bias and to work to ensure that approved legislation does not put any existing home inspector out of business or otherwise adversely affect them.

NACHI, as an association, does not get involved any more deeply than that, since the association recognizes that it has members on both sides of many issues.

--

www.monachi.org