Kickbacks for insurance agents?

The State of Florida has spoken and said it isn’t within our industry. What we need is not a COE change that ends this practice for members (that doesn’t stop non-inspectors from doing them), but rather legislation that requires these inspections to be performed by licensed home inspectors. Don’t let meaningless battles distract you from winning wars.

So … home inspectors should be allowed to pay kickbacks because contractors do? They already can.

What’s the difference between a contractor paying a kickback and a home inspector paying a kickback? Members are not prohibited from paying or receiving kickbacks.

As you eluded to in your revised your post …

… kickbacks are allowed under the present code of ethics.

And that’s the meaningless distraction (battle) I mentioned in post #39.

The real issue is that these inspections can legally be performed by anyone. That’s what needs to change (war).

It is certainly an opportune way of redefining the problem … but it doesn’t seem to address the concerns that are being expressed.

These guys are standing up against kickbacks. Not non-members.

Jim, you are confusing “non-members” with “non-inspectors” (although, I hope those two terms will be synonymous one day soon).

These inspections are being performed, legally, by non-inspectors who are not required to hold a home inspector’s license in Florida which is why standing up against the practice has no effect on them. They are not only non-members, they aren’t even home inspectors. Might as well stand up against the color purple for pizza delivery drivers. Meaningless battle. The war we need to fight is to require that these inspections be performed by licensed home inspectors.

So state law trumps Nachi Coe?, by that logic we can do repairs as well, no? The dec. statement allows for contractors and home inspectors to offer kickbacks to insurance agents for referrals. This association approves of members licensed in the state of Florida to actively market kickbacks to agents while flying the Nachi logos?

Nick said this would only happen over his “Dead Body”…:shock:

Btw, I easily turn down 100k of repair work annually, just to follow current accepted industry ethical practices. Should this be reevaluated?

Hell ya. You are qualified and they want you you should DAMN sure be able to make the money. Not your fault you have multiple qualifications.

All that protecting the clients is BULL S H IT… I said it once I’ll say it a thousand times.

It is only a rule to help those who CANNOT compete on their own merit.

Seems like an ethics buffet! This has been going on since the beginning. The associations just need to have balls and forbid it. The insurance agent association I am affiliated with prohibits it. I would likely leave Nachi if they allowed members to bribe agents.

Nick, you appear to be intentionally trying to muddy the waters by bringing in non members and non inspectors into the issue. As you know, you and I have had this debate. Again, this issue is about the ethics or lack there of for providing kickbacks to insurance agents for insurance related inspections. Try to stay with me here and on topic without trying to cloud the issue.

Why? Licensed home inspectors who belong to NACHI are allowed to pay and receive kickbacks, too. That is the issue that these guys are fighting … and were hoping that you would stand up against. Of course, we would have to fix things at home, first.

Why? Licensed home inspectors who belong to NACHI are allowed to pay and receive kickbacks, too. That is the issue that these guys are fighting … and were hoping that you would stand up against. Of course, we would have to fix things at home, first. That isn’t why you are wanting to redefine the issue, is it?

Stopping kick backs from Nachi members or Licensed home inspectors to insurance agents will not stop contractors from do it. When contractors control the insurance market they will take over the home inspection market also. They go hand in hand.

You are wasting your breath my friend. :wink:

The issue will become that the contractors will do the insurance inspections. Then, when the insurance companies implement their "4-point, mini home inspections, guess who will be doing those?

The State has seen fit to prohibit this activity for home inspectors. That should be the legal precedence to fight this particular issue.

what about repairs?

What about them?

I have said for years if you are a licensed contractor and can do the repairs, don’t let this orgs, or any others, rules stop you from making money.

so kickbacks and repairs are are ethically acceptable practices

Did I say they were ethical?
If they are legal, and they are for some, then now it becomes a personal choice.