Killed another camera today

"I use a neck strap"

BINGO!

I use this Camera. I just purchased this after giving my wife my older model. It’s Waterproof and Shockproof. Never had a problem with it.
I see other’s use it as well. It’s the BEST by far.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Olympus+-+Stylus+Tough+14.0-Megapixel+Digital+Camera+-+Green/9774893.p?id=1218171552789&skuId=9774893

I have three Pentax Optio cameras (first generation model) and have been using two of them full time for years and keep the third in reserve still in the box. I just dropped one of them this morning and it bounced on the concrete walk in front of my house. Picked it up, turned it on, took a couple of shots…no harm done. It has hard rubber corners to cushion the falls. Both have been dropped, kicked, gotten wet numerous times, still working like new. Batteries seem to last forever between charges. No external moving parts, all internal. Ive even run it under water to get mud off it and wiped off with a microfiber cloth. Client thought I had lost my mind, then they wanted one. The Optio was first designed for hikers, campers, boaters, etc. or basically outdoor/rugged use. That is why I bought one after destroying several other cameras. Tried it, loved the durability and size and immediately bought two more. They still look like near new in spite of all my abuse. Small enough to fit into a shirt pocket or small belt pouch. Takes exceptional photos again for the photogenic naturists purposes. You can get some great deals on Ebay for the Pentax. As someone said though, make certain you buy one of the models that is rated Water proof. Not all Optio models are.

Man, I could have used that Sony floppy drive camera.

i got one want to buy it lolol

OK

I just ordered an Olympus Stylus 8000. You guys better not be jiving me. I expect to take underwater pictures in 30 feet of water while pounding the camera on the reef. I hope it holds up.

I bought a candy apple red Nikon today so I hope it makes it thru the week :slight_smile:

You will love it! I dropped mine yesterday , after it went down about 6 stairs the agent said oh oh , it just keeps ticking lolol

LOL it is also fun to watch their faces when you stick under a tap to wash the mud off

Have owned two Canon pocket models that have worked well for me. Bought the second one only because I damaged a big spot on the display by sitting on it with keys in my pocket. After buying a new one, I found a sourse for replacement parts and fixed the display myself for about $50, so now I have two and take both - just in case.

Like Wayne, I purchased the right camera for the job.

What I do in crawl spaces to even flat or angled roof inspections, because I like to have both hands on the ladder or readily accessible I have a durable bag and or box or bucket that can be purchased at any hardware store for a reasonable rate. Example being,like a small tool box tied to a line and the line being at least 1/4 inch but I use 1/2 inch but that’s your preference.Every thing goes in the bag or box.The line might be tied to the front of my belt and slung over my shoulder so the rope dangles from behind as I ascend. If I am crawling I might tie it to my ankle or wrist or again belt over shoulder so it is not crawled over causing friction and hindering your movement. Crawling or climbing, when I reach a safe destination I retrieve the box, bag or what ever you have fashioned and bobs your uncle safe journey for all.
When descending the roof or any place I have had to climb I lower any tools that I have taken with me and make sure I am wearing gloves for the rope will burn your hands as it causes friction from the weight of the object as it gets lowered and the rope speeds through your hands,therefore gloves. (Trust me).Once the box bag or bucket are safely on the ground I throw the rope off the roof or balcony always making sure no one is near and also use orange safety cones anywhere near the area I have setup a ladder as a perimeter to grab peoples attention to the fact that danger is probable and caution is required.
I am a contractor and trades man and have been doing this for well over 30 years, to bring up or lower items tools anything that is required.
I hope this helps aid you in your question and good luck it works for me and hope it works for you.
Now if you just have a camera and other small tools or gear a fanny pact should work fine or even a small back pack.
I have been in small low dirty crawl spaces and used small back pack and head lamp to light my way.
So I might be off track here a little bit for it was a camera that this post was being applied to but I still use my methods for even small items because I have SEEN and heard of people getting hurt or losing equipment trying to carny or placing a item in the wrong place,a pocket,hand bag or just someone using there hands limiting mobility or the use of their hands to grab or access something anchored for stability.
Sorry for long explanation but safety is MY prime concern then its the cost and time of replacing or repairing of equipment.

I’m waiting for the arrival of my Olympus Stylus Tough 8000. Can’t wait to try out the underwater capabilities (33 feet). Might have to take a trip with the kids to wet N wild or Blizzard Beach for the break in phase. I bought mine reconditioned from the factory for under $200.00 – They are around $390.00 new. It comes with all the same warranties/guarantees as a new camera. I have bought many reconditioned tems (cell phones and cameras) this way and have never been disapointed. I believe most of the items were never used, but were opened and returned to the retailer for whatever reason. They are then returned to the manufacturer who corrects whatever the defect was (if any) and then repackages the product with all the accessories and paperwork. I have never even found a scratch on any items. I think what happens is the purchaser may return the item due to an accessory missing in the box ---- the retailer cannot sell an opened product without a loss so it is returned to the manufacturer for replacement. Whatever the reason, it is a huge discount over the listed price. You can find these items at Amazon, but don’t buy used, buy factory reconditioned, there is a big difference between the terms.

Jeff and others using the Olympus camera I have a couple questions?

What is the best model to purchase? The 8000?
What type batteries does it use?
Does it use a SD card? If not how do you transfer pics to computer.

I killed another camera today. It lasted 2 months, I seem to have a outgoing or ingoing camera off for repairs(Under warranty) Do not buy cannon power shot SX120IS (Garbage)

I own about 5 cameras, keep a spare in bag.

This camera looks sweet, thanks for the advice. It is time to get a better camera.

Tired of shipping away cameras.

As they say you get what you pay for!! Or something like that!!

Has a built in 1 GB

The 8000 is a good choice, but the 1050SW is just as capable and a bit cheaper. It has a rechargeable battery - I suggest buying a second battery and swapping them out at each recharge.

They have a large built-in memory, but they also have a micro-SD slot, and they come with a cord for transfer.

I often take underwater pictures to show pool defects - they are great cameras.

I think the new 8000 take a sd card now, Better check but thats what i was told

you can get about 225 pictures per charge, i have 2 batteries

Me too. I think it is a Mavica FD-85, forgot I still had it until we were unpacking last winter after moving down here.

I do know my original Mavica FD-7 would survive a drop of about 5 feet onto a brick hearth - Several times - and still work. :cool:

I dropped my Kodak V705 dual lens camera last week onto some rocks at the edge of a garden and about panicked. :shock:

It still worked though, whew! That’s what I get for taking it out my my back pocket where it usually resides during an inspection and leaving it on a clipboard to slide off of…

Al in TN

For the Olympus do they take a SD card or the Olympus XD card there is a difference?

Chuck