Killing Fire Ants

Just curious if anybody has used this method. Sounds easy.

**N****ew Cure for Fire Ants** 

This is a new twist to killing fire ant colonies. For those not familiar with Walter Reeves, he is from the University of Georgia agriculture department, specializing in home gardening. His television show, 'Gardening in Georgia ', is on each Saturday.

I know fire ants are picky eaters and any type poison that is effective takes seven feeding steps before the queen receives it. Plus, if the bait is stored in close proximity to any petroleum or fertilizer products they won’t touch it. Contact poisons that are on the market just cause the colony to move away. A well developed colony can be as deep as 30 feet and spread out some 20 to 50 feet from the mound center. This was documented by studies done in the early 60’s when they were first sited in South Alabama .

An environmentally friendly cure for fire ants has been announced by Walter Reeves on his Georgia Gardener radio program. Testimonials that it REALLY WORKS are coming in.

Simply pour two cups of CLUB SODA (carbonated water) directly in the center of a fire ant mound. The carbon dioxide in the water is heavier than air and displaces the oxygen which suffocates the queen and the other ants. The whole colony will be dead within about two days.

Besides eliminating the ants, club soda leaves no poisonous residue, does not contaminate the ground water, and does not indiscriminately kill other insects. It is not harmful to your pets, soaks into the ground. Each mound must be treated individually and a one liter bottle of club soda will kill 2 to 3 mounds. Spread the word.

I was told that you drop your pants and sit squarely in the center of the mound. Try it and let us know the outcome.

Never heard of it, but worth a try.

Some of my Pest guys swear by spraying the yard down with Dawn dish liquid in a garden hose spray applicator. I’ve never tried it but may have the wife pick up a few giant bottles on her next trip to Costco.

One of my dogs got into them just yesterday. Sure doesn’t take them long to come out once the sun comes out a little.

Walter is a great source but I don’t think he’s for that one… http://www.walterreeves.com/insects_animals/article.phtml?cat=21&id=1031

Sean Sean
We know this only works for the likes of you. The one selling useless tissues .
And that would another type of death for the Ants. Scared to death by hairy well thats another story.

This is the best I’ve found. Sprinkle a little around the mound (not on top) and the ants will track through it and take it to the queen:p. Be up wind when you use because it really stinks!

Got us! Now I’m going to have to drink all that club soda

so now we are back to Sean’s method lol

Got this today:

Yeah, I posted Walter’s rebuttal link earlier (post #4). He may not have read the entire thread.

What a bone head post on my part.

Chuck: I should send you something to mix with all that club soda you got. :slight_smile:

I’ll crawl back into my newbie hole now.

Hey don’t sweat it. We can all laugh at our own occasional gullibility.

This used to kill everything we sprinkled it on as kids…:twisted: