kitchen sink with 2 separate traps--vent issue?

Originally Posted By: Erik Jorgenson
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi–I have a new sink install that is much lower (deeper) than the previous sink. The fancy strainers (PVC) also hang lower. To save vertical space, I would like to trap eash basin individually and join to the waste line with a “Y” joint at the wall. This is a kitchen sink with window, so the waste line does have a 3’ horizontal run.

Does this set up break vent? I've heard that the "dueling traps" can suction/siphon the "unused" trap. ?

There is NOT enough space to join the sinks with a "T" above the drap--it would be @1 inch below the waste line. Might have to find different strainers.

Originally Posted By: Aaron
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’ve seen lots of houses with “double traps”. They aren’t used in new construction. If you are mechanically inclined, you can bust open the back wall, cut the vent pipe and drain pipe, use mission couplings (those rubber inserts with a metal jacket with two clamps on each end) to use between the metal pipes/plastic pipes.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it would look cleaner in the long run ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)