Knob and Tube Wiring

This is the correct approach. Insurer’s in FL will NOT insure a home with active K&T. The buyer needs to know this.

Seems like Florida style insurance inspections are starting to migrate to the north. Keep an eye out for them insurance regulators out there…they are a sly bunch.

Only problem is you can’t see all of it to make that statement about an entire wiring system…

How do you report on insulation in the walls or under planking in the attic?
How do you report on the HVAC duct work hidden in the ceiling, walls, floors?
How do you report on the Sewer lateral to the street/alley?
How do you report on the Water service from the curb?
How do you report on the Gas service from the curb?
How do you report on the electrical SE from the weatherhead to the panel… or the underground service from the pole to the panel?

Do you report “potential problems” for all the above because you cannot visually see it?

I believe I made my point.

As for K&T IMHO it has outlived its usefulness we simply have to many toys in our homes to expect K&T to performed as it was intended in the 1930’s When I was a newbie I used to P**** foot around with it but for years now if it is present I highly recommend replacement and the client can do as they see fit.

Allows me to sleep well at night and the next morning I don’t have to check the newspaper to see if the house that burnt down during the night was one that I inspected:shock::wink:

Well said. For the life of me I cannot understand why some want to “defend” k & t.

It was a hard thing for us old guys to get over. I learned to drive in a Model A ford and it was a good vehicle for years but how many do you see on the freeway today;-)