Ladder

Inspired by Mr Robert Young I got myself a multi-ladder with intention to have it always in my van. I have a 32’ extension ladder, but it doesn’t fit inside my van and I prefer to not drive around with this monster on my roof-rack, especially during the long Montreal’s winter.

So I purchased and tried today this 22’, 300lb ladder, on my 1.5 story house and on the middle of it I felt extremely uncomfortable. Nothing to do with the stable feeling of a rigid, extendable ladder. I felt like the hinges are strained to breaking point.

I stepped down and reduced the distance between the base of the ladder and the wall below the save angle to reduce the vertical load and went halfway up for experiment. Less shaky, but not safe because of the small angle. Can’t be really used this way for safety reasons.

Is it only in my head? Did anyone ever heart about broken hinges of multi ladder? If it’s only the shaking I can get over it. Is 22’ foo long? I spent hundreds of hours on ladders and roofs, but never used hinged ladder.

Edit: just found that very educative video compilation of ladder failings:

1 Like

I’ve been using a 13’ and 17’ Cosco for the past 14 years. Work the same now as when I bought them. I feel confident on them at their full extension.

1 Like

Yes. Probably 22’ is too long for a light multi-ladder. I used it today with full span on another house and managed to get over the shaking of the hinges, but still felt uncomfortable.

NEVER buy a ladder from Harbour Freight. They sell mostly low-quality goods. Buy a high quality ladder.

I dont remember the brand but I had one of those collapse on me and it went straight into the scrap trailer…maybe the safety has improved in the last 20 years though?

1 Like

That immediately killed my will to climb on multi ladder.
Thank you, Sir.

I have an Xtend & Climb and a Gorilla multi.
On the X&C just make sure you see all the green dots.

I have the Xtend & Climb also. Great ladder. Don’t go cheap on your ladders as Kenton says. For us “portly” guys, watch the weight ratings and also buy more than you need. (in case you have a big lunch that day!)

1 Like

JC Whitney had some killer spray on window tint:nerd_face:
I helped my friend tint the windows on a John Deere 4430 cab tractor with that stuff.
Then we scraped it all back off.

You can climb a ladder 10,000 times , but as soon as someone pulls out a camera it’s all over

1 Like