Lake Water

Originally Posted By: dosborn
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Today I received a call from someone in NJ that is buying in upstate NY, Saranac Lake to be specific, he wants a full inspection on his lake side home. He says the home is the normal 3 bedroom bungalow with a basement, a well and septic. He said that he wants a flow test on the well but mentioned that it was one of those SHALLOW WELL SYSTEMS used around lakes…

I haven't a clue what he means, can anyone that has had experience with Lake water for drinking give me some advice how to handle this or what a shallow well system is..... maybe he is confused and it isn't called that....

Anyway my appt. isn't till next Wednesday so I have some time to look in to this..... Any help would be appreciated.

Dan Osborn

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

He is correct in his terminology…it just means it’s less than 50’ and the water supply is from the aquifer.

Go here to learn more.
http://www.metrokc.gov/health/water/wells.htm#what

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Kevin,

Thanks, that is perfect. So all being around a lake does is creates a higher water table, and I should still do a flow and ecoli test.....

Thanks,

Dan

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Dan,

I very seldom see wells for drinking water, however, regardless of the water source, you should treat the well's ability to deliver water the same for all well water supply sources.

As for the water quality test, isn't there a local or county office where you can take a sample to and have them test it for everything they test water for? I.e., do you want to limit the water test to one aspect? The lake water may be full of all types of contaminates.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Jerry,

Sorry, when I say Ecoli, I'm just referring to the non-FHA test, the Ecoli tests for a variety of things, just not lead which the FHA wants.

Thanks for the responses, now hopefully I will know as much as my customer...(which is always a good thing)

Dan ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)