Large Pecan tree 36" from slab

Originally Posted By: mauthement
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Inspected a slab on grade 7 year old home today with a 24" diameter Pecan tree 36" from exterior brick wall. No visible defects. Exterior of slab behind brick exterior. Any structural concerns?

Thanks

Murray

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Murray,

Some of the problems associated with tree roots are soil heaving creating a negative pitch, buckled sidewalks and exterior cracks. There is also the possibilty of roots clogging or breaking water/sewer lines which happened to me in Chicago.

Erol Kartal
ProInspect

Originally Posted By: rcloyd

Murray:

If there is no visible damage to the house as a result of the tree, I would note the close proximity of the tree to the foundation in my report and recommend that the tree be removed or root barricades be installed.
Tree roots can cause substantial damage to foundations. Not to mention the potential for the tree to fall onto the house if it is blown over.

Regards,

--
Russell G. Cloyd
Intra-Spec Home Inspections
& Code Consulting, LLC
859-586-4591
www.intra-spechomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: ltrower

Murray,

Seeings how the house was build after the tree was planted, it would be interesting to find out when they dug the foundation for the house if they cut the roots. Tree roots will be as wide as the drip line of the tree or larger depending on soil conditions and will be between ground level to 12" below the soil level. Pecan trees are very well known to get broken up in storms. The safest thing to do is cut the tree down. The other problem besides roots and falling limbs is squirrels. The love pecan trees and that becomes a very big problem if they get in the attic.

Just some food for thought.

Lee Trower

Originally Posted By: mauthement

Thanks for replies

Murray

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

My parents home has two 45" White pine trees within 24 " of their house and within 24" of the sidewalk.

They lived there 35 years, and the house was built 35 years before they got there. The tree was there long before that. Full Masonry basement.

Not one crack in the sidewalk or basement wall. Go figure!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: sspradling

Compaction of soil on top of the root system will kill a tree. May take a few years, but it’ll happen. Furniture makers love pecan. Maybe a tree surgeon could drop it so the trunk is sellable?

Stu