Large wall cracks

I did not probe the area, but that is a good idea. I will do that next time.

Bob,

U S Army Corps of Engineers 1 Year Report on residential foundation damage in Amherst NY
http://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/AmherstSoilStudy/reports/Amherst-2005-01.pdf

Pg 66. About 30% of the inspected houses had drywall cracks…
" " Damage to exterior flatwork is common…variety of causes incl`g
swelling soils,concrete shrinkage,settling,frost heave,tree roots and poor quality of concrete or installation…

Pg 66,67. Foundation Repairs
…our limited experience revealed there is occasional erroneous diagnosis and subsequent implementation of an inappropriate remedial repair…
we observed pilasters that were improperly supported,repaired walls that promoted subsequent settlement,misapplication of carbon fiber strips and the engineering conviction that wider footings prevent settlement…
we also observed reputable engineers`design solutions that did NOT alleviate the settlement and/or lateral pressure problems.

Pg 78. Causative Factors, 3.1 Overview
Freeman et al 1994 suggests FOUNDATION MOVEMENT may result from a wide range of factors which can include,

1. compression of a soft layer in the ground as a result of the applied foundation or perimeter loads
  2. shrinkage and swelling of clays…
  3. soil softening
  4. compression of filled ground
  5. frost heave
  6. variations in groundwater level
  7. erosion
  8. nearby construction or excavation
  9. chemical attack…
  10. collapse of mine workings or natural cavities
  11. vibration

-Tree roots,driveway/walk concrete slabs/porch footings can also cause
foundation movement,cracks/deteriorated blocks and subsequent leaks etc.Here is a back-corner,block basement wall,see root and crack but also see BRICKS atop wall on-back, did not crack BUT in 2nd picture you will see a hairline vertical crack in bricks.What CAUSED the cracks in exterior block wall and subsequent basement leaks/seepage,play SLIDESHOW
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=2274993013/PictureID=89292956013/a=122238283_111847456/
See cracks/deteriorated block/wall

This is right around corner on side wall,same g damn corner
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=2274993013/PictureID=89292964013/a=122238283_111847456/

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=2274993013/PictureID=89292965013/a=122238283_111847456/

http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=2274993013/PictureID=89292959013/a=122238283_111847456/
Do inside systems/companies repair/waterproof any of these? Do they remove clay,roots etc?

FIRST step to REPAIRING the corner/cracks
http://www2.snapfish.com/slideshow/AlbumID=2274993013/PictureID=89292967013/a=122238283_111847456/

Back to Corps of Engs report
Pg 96. 3.4.5 Backfill
Lateral pressure problems are exasperated by using unsuitable backfill material,usually from on-site excavation

Pg 98. Modeling results
…demonstrate that 1) granular backfills can REDUCE lateral pressures
2) top wall support is CRITICAL… 3) historical wall DESIGNS are at or near the threshold for cracking

Bob, what we`ve seen is one or more of the following CAUSE cracks,bowed walls and subsequent basement leaks/seepage,mold,efflorescence etc on parts of inside basement wall.NOT all,just much more often

1. lateral soil pressure,shrink-swell etc
  2. underground tree roots or concrete slabs or porch footing up against exterior basement wall
  3. crack(s) occurred when house was built or not long afterward,either from using equipment too close too wall or how operator backfilled against wall or as/after unsuitable backfill settled along/against wall

http://www.lrb.usace.army.mil/AmherstSoilStudy/photos/photos.html
Lateral pressure caused step-crack,caused vertical crack,caused basement wall to bow inward 9 inches

http://geosurvey.state.co.us/Default.aspx?tabid=392
scroll down, to Severity of Problem
…each year,shrinking or swelling…more than twice the damage from floods,hurricanes,tornadoes and earthquakes

Cracking Brickwork. No,do NOT agree w/all said from what we`ve seen over and over but does hit upon some truths
http://www.archicentre.com.au/survival_kit/cracking_brick.pdf
True…4th para, Unfortunately lack of knowledge can lead to the adoption of unnecessarily expensive treatments which may be suggested by firms biased in favour of using their own patented and profitable ‘cures’.

‘The form it takes’…a diagonal crack starting at the corner of a door opening is SURE
to have been created by movement in the footings.
What weve repeatedly seen right freakin UP CLOSE over and over is most footings have not cracked/moved BUT the basement wall is cracked/moved which then can sometimes cause step/vertical etc cracks in bricks. Wouldnt say any cracks in bricks is ‘sure’ to have been caused by movement in footings
http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3698015013/a=122238283_111847456/
Step crack in BRICKS eh.Follow it down to edge of basement window.
Previous weak rookie attempt at fixing crack in basement wall,pffft!
One of the nicest ladys on the planet…ever,house for sale.
She had OTHERS/inside system knotheads over before my dumb azz eh,they told her her house was settling,told her she needed piers/wall anchors and an inside system $$$$$$!

If you eyeball pics of footing there is NO cracked/dropped footing,no settling!!
Just another blchttt story.
That tuckpointing was done around 8-10 years ago,held up pretty dang good but she continued to leak in basement along floor-wall joint,mold and efflorescence on parts on blocks inside,paint peeling.
On exterior block wall there was that vertical crack under basement window and a horizontal crack at top of 1st block off footing and openings around that gas line eh.
Thats WHY-WHERE water entered,caused mold/efflorescence etc inside.
If i remember correctly job cost $1,350 versus $10,000++ what inside knotheads wanted which would NOT have repaired the exterior cracks etc and may have CAUSED MORE damage to wall/bricks using-installing piers etc

John ,I like the list.

My thoughts always jump to drainage and tree roots on something like what mike found ,however the list is a good reminder that there are many causes and Mike would need to be the one to get a good 3D view of the place to maybe come up with ideas for causes.

Out of our pay grade and should just recommend a SE for sure to avoid be sued making the wrong call.

John my next question for you would be this:

Recommend Foundation contractor
Recommend SE

What is the call? and does a foundation remmediation contractor determine cause on any level?

Like that list, so here it is again and I am half tempted to pay you as a web site designer with all the pictures and links you seemingly post at will.
I feel shamed:(

1. compression of a soft layer in the ground as a result of the applied foundation or perimeter loads
  2. shrinkage and swelling of clays…
  3. soil softening
  4. compression of filled ground
  5. frost heave
  6. variations in groundwater level
  7. erosion
  8. nearby construction or excavation
  9. chemical attack…
  10. collapse of mine workings or natural cavities
  11. vibration

Bring your laptop or a zip drive.:wink:

Bob,

just want to post all facts,possibilities and REAL solutions instead of what i`ve always seen online or whats told to many homeowners in person/the inside trash-o-la.

Unless he/you/whoever can find a very experienced AND honest foundation/waterproofing etc contractor who has seen and fixed these problems over and over w/very few if any complaints,and most WONT find ONE unfortunately, then id recommend finding an experienced and honest SE etc. Thats based on ALL the CRAP,lies/incompetence ive repeatedly seen/read,talked w/out of state homeowners about.Say again, i doubt youll find one…you MIGHT/NOT saying theyre arent any but it may take some looking around/patience etc. For instance J McEwen formerly EOF Foundations in Canada(now works for Govt eh) or Capizzo here in MI and a couple others,don`t know of any in ILL sorry.

As for determining cause(s) on ‘any’ level i would opt for a SE etc.
For MY own azz, ill never/have never recommended ANY inside system co and their own supposed engineer,no way! Yes, have fairly-often recommended SE etc to homeowners BEYOND what i may think/know/recommend,sure do. But in saying that my guys and i and some homeowners here have witnessed 'some' engineers supposed design/cause/solution inaccurate etc,just like what the U S Army Corps of Engs states/observed in Amherst NY,not shtting on them,just making the point that they are not always correct in the cause(s),solutions etc.
In other words,dont get mad at me lol IF 1++ SEs are called and paid and come out and don`t evaluate the actual problem(s)! :mrgreen: JK

That list is good,just wish they`d listed underground tree roots,concrete slabs,porch footings as some of the causes for foundation movement/basement wall cracks,bowed wall,leaks etc.

Dont want any money,no thx sir. Would be willing to try and help,post pics/whatever or provide captions for pics/causes-solutions etc.You folks can use any-all of my pics,just please dont tell homeowners stuff like ‘most basements leaks can be fixed by raising grad etc’ or recommend inside system misfits,i can`t handle that bogus junk,sorry. :mrgreen:

Couple more pictures of similar corner cracks,bricks atop wall not cracked
These are pretty big. NO cracks are seen on inside walls!!! Play slideshow eh
http://www2.snapfish.com/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=3700084013/a=122238283_111847456/

How about these beauties? 2 different corners,front and back and in middle of back wall,pretty big horizontal crack.

Exterior work was done around 20 years ago BUT,they didn`t use hydraulic cement IN/OVER cracks before thick mastic etc and did NOT backfill w/all-most gravel and THOSE are mistakes,they backfilled with same excavated clay soil.

Im pretty lucky to have guys who not only bust their azz but also understand the cause(s),solutions etc.....unlike most others,inside or out.As i say that, i would NOT keep any guy who doesnt want to learn,try and understand etc…they can go get a job w/Everdorks etc.Have had quite a few who wanted a job/work w/us that previously worked for B Dorks,Everdorks,Insta Dorks etc etc…not one has lasted more than 2 days!
Tell ya who also knows/understands alot of what these inside system do/dont do,misrepresent etc etc,Joe D at Downriver waterproofing.He has seen/talked with several former inside system laborers,he has some honest info for the media etc as well but again,seems like they and many others/states/city inspectors etc dont wanna hear it or dont understand it.Say again,shtt ive posted is honest,is true,some just don`t wanna hear it or somehow think/assume they know more which is IMPOSSIBLE!!! lol

Don’t have a lap top, but I do have a flash drive. I may or may not make it tonight. Just finished an inspection and I have a report to write.

Structural movement – refer it.

This is definitely a structural engineer territory because of the crack width and the fact that it was repaired before and has redeveloped cracks.