larger multi-unit apartments inspection

Originally Posted By: jeubank
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Next week I’ll be inspecting a 60-unit apartment building for the investment buyers. After some discussion we agreed that I’ll actually enter 30 of the units (50% random sample), plus roof, heating system, common areas. What kind of advice can you offer for this larger inspection? Specific things to look for? Level of thoroughness in each unit?

Originally Posted By: bking

I don’t have experience with those but can think of a few items-

make sure hand rails are absolutely strong.
grease buildup in kitchen venting.
loose shower head pipe inside wall.
slow drains.
missing water saver discs in showerheads if required by law.

--
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Fire separation walls, gfci’s, showers areas, and toilets for secure, make sure the toilet paper goes over the top and not from the bottom…

The items such as the shower areas and the toilet are important as renters are notorious (many) for slacking on maintenance. With htis in mind, be mindfull of checking for water stains on ceilings under bathrooms.

Adam, A Plus

Originally Posted By: jschwartz1

I would not agree to a sample. all 60 or no deal.

Jay Schwartz

Coast To Coast Home Services, Inc

www.Coasttocoasthomeservices.com

Southeast Florida NACHI Chapter - VP www.floridanachi.org

NACHI - Legislative Committee Member

MAB - Member

Originally Posted By: rzimmerman

jeubank wrote:
Next week I'll be inspecting a 60-unit apartment building for the investment buyers. After some discussion we agreed that I'll actually enter 30 of the units (50% random sample), plus roof, heating system, common areas. What kind of advice can you offer for this larger inspection? Specific things to look for? Level of thoroughness in each unit?

This is a prime area for Infrared. Checking elect, insulation, moisture. Too bad I'm sooo far away ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

Are the units occupied, are they in a single building, what kind of roof (flat,pitched) do they share common utilities, how many floors, a lot of questions.

--
Rob Z.
www.RZinspections.com

Originally Posted By: whandley

Inspection scope and protocol should be based on the client’s specific requirements. Establish in writing prior to the inspection which systems and or structural considerations shall be included in the inspection. Random unit samplings are a normal inspection procedure when a large volume of units are involved. Pricing will vary depending on size and configuration of the complex, number of individual units inspected, size of the individual units to be inspected and of course the scope of the

inspection. icon_idea.gif Sounds like a great project, “Good Luck”.

Thanks to the folks who gave me suggestions. That helps a lot. Since it’s an expensive property, we’ve had to work through more details ahead of time, with the buyer’s agent, listing agent, current property manager, and new property manager all getting involved. It takes some diplomacy to get everyone on the same page! I enjoy that sort of thing, when it doesn’t drag on for too long. Anyway, again, thanks.

One other thing James. Probably doesn’t apply to this one as this seems like a larger, and more likely pretty well maintained property. Lack of adequate gutter maintenance can be an issue, whether it be from lack of cleaning or dis-repair. The potential for bigger problems from ice-damming when the gutters aren’t kept clean, or detached downspouts not being repaired and increased water related issues with the foundation in these areas as a result. Again, this would likely be better maintained in these areas, but without knowing the age, relative scale of the neighborhood, etc. Just throwing it out there…

Adam, A Plus

Thanks, Adam, for the gutter maintenance suggestion. This does seem to be a pretty well-maintained property. The other day I went over and did my own private walk-through of the common areas, just to see what I was getting into. The common areas were surprisingly clean and solid. So I’m hoping for more of the same on the insides. I’ll definitely check out the gutter maintenance. Another idea I had was to drop by the city’s building inspection department to see if there are any public records relating to this building’s recent history.

James,

Almost forgot, depending on the age, check the windows for lost seals.

Adam, A Plus

Originally Posted By: kgraham

A Random sample is okay so long as you and your client agree. But be sure to note which units you did check so they can’t come back on something in one of the other units.

Fire and other safety hazards would be at the top of my check list.