Largest state for inspectors (FL) formally adopts InterNACHI's exam for licensing.

Since 2013? Try since licensing was implemted!

Nick ?? a little answer her ewould be cool.

Jim

There is a hands-on, on-site component to the licensing requirements in Florida which is fulfilled by going to any one of our Florida schools. We’ve been providing it since licensing was implemented in Florida: http://www.nachi.org/florida-licensed-home-inspector.htm Our exam being approved is just another service to replace the NHIE which was overcharging.

Thanks for clearing up “Nachi proctoring” Nick.

That it (proctoring) is not provided online and apparently only in Florida, at Nachi schools.

We proctor the exam taker as he/she takes our online exam, online. I guess that’s the most accurate way to say it. It is instantly graded online as well.

At your Nachi schools, only. Correct?

I think we’ll ultimately have 14 locations in Florida.

Cool

Several months ago I was visiting friends in Texas and attended a TPREIA meeting. The speaker was a Texas Inspector named Wilcox I think (can’t remember the 1st name). If memory is correct he either is / was on the Texas home inspectors advisory board OR whatever its called. He was talking about how Texas had switched from their own state HI Test to using the NHIE.

That seemed weird to me since Texas has the pronulgated format and has a lot of code related type inspection reporting AND most of the rest of the country does not AND thats not how the NHIE was set up. The question was raised as to WHY with those issues Texas switched to the NHIE. Mr Wilcox talked about several reasons, **and the 1st reason was too many potential new inspectors were failing the Texas test **even with their strenuous training requirements. They felt that more new inspectors could pass the NHIE. If memory serves me he also mentioned it could save money (not sure how with NHIE’s costs and fewer test centers than many other testing organizations); and he mentioned Texas felt it would help develop more reciprocity between other states (again not sure how that would filter in since the majority of states have such different licensing requirements that MOST today do not reciprocate with each other).

The conversation sounded real weak to me but hey what do I know.

Dan is correct. Texas and TREC’s officially stated reasoning for adopting the NHIE is that the NHIE is “easy to pass.”

In a related side note: ASHI uses this governmentally-declared “easy to pass” exam as the basis for awarding their highest level of certified membership.

Nick here is an idea…just an idea.

Can the local organizations of INACHI provide the proctoring; With that accomplished here is what can happen.

1. Promote Internachi and the local associations
  2. Get the new inspectors to become members of the local associations
  3. Maybe they pay the mother company (You) for the test and you keep an administrative fee (I know how you like to wet your beak) and then send a monthly check to the chapter for whatever they vote on using it for. Local marketing, legislative fund…whatever.
  4. Each person who passes the test gets a year membership to Inachi.
  5. Members of the association VOLUNTEER their time to proctor the test, so the proceeds go to the chapter not an individual.

Win Win Win…You win, the chapter wins, and the customer wins and no individual can profit from the testing. Leaving it financially unbiased and accurate.

What say you?

crickets?

We could sure use the money for legislative purposes.

No response from the big cheese…

What a great idea. To bad no one thought about that in 2010.

I agree with the local marketing idea. Members should be group marketing locally.
I disagree with the legislative idea. Our lobbyist has gotten us everything we’ve asked for including:

• Having InterNACHI’s exam used for initial grandfathering in FL.
  • Having CMI used as evidence to qualify for grandfathering in FL.
  • Having contractors prohibited from offering repair services for the defects they find during a home inspection.
  • Having InterNACHI’s mold courses approved for grandfathering of licensed mold assessors in FL.
  • Having new legislation adopted that exempts home inspectors from having to have a mold assessors license in FL.
  • Having InterNACHI’s pre-licensing curriculum approved for pre-licensing in FL
  • Having InterNACHI’s schools and instructors approved to teach in FL.
  • Having nearly all of InterNACHI’s free, online courses approved for continuing education by the FL DBPR.
  • Having InterNACHI’s free, online Wind Mitigation Inspection course approved by the FL CILB.
  • Having InterNACHI’s free, online courses approved by the FL Real Estate Commission for real estate agent CE.
  • And now recently… having InterNACHI’s proctored, online exam adopted for licensing in FL so no one has to get overcharged to take the NHIE.

I think we have the legislative thing covered. But I do like local marketing. We should start creating chapter brochures that promote all the local members.

So what about the chapters providing the proctoring?

Apparently the lite birdie wants more than to wet his beak…

You never addressed this part of the post.

I’m OK with it if the DBPR is OK with it.

ok, awesome. But can you please explain the procedure right now?

If I am a person wanting to take the test through INACHI online exam, how do I go about completing it, right now today? Is there a process in place right now or not?

How do we find out the process? Your OK with it. But who do the people pay? Let’s charge $150 and give the mother ship maybe 20% and the chapter keeps the rest towards whatever the chapter leadership decides?

Sound good?

I’ll have Ben answer those questions. I actually don’t know.