Laser pointers

I’ve been using laser pointers for six years to point to things during the inspection. I’ve always hated the little watch batteries that run most of the laser pointers that one buys off the shelf at Target. Consequently, I’ve been looking around and finally found this web site that offers a gazillionbazillion laser pointers, many that use rechargeable AA and AAA batteries. Finally.

I like Dollar stores Buy the laser with batteries so cheap when dead take out another from my bag.
I can not buy the batteris for that price.
Put your sticker on them give them away good advertising .
Dogs and cats love them Keep the client busy well I do the inspection.

Yeah, I just use my laser thermometer. :slight_smile:

Scott, You and me both :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

i just heard on a news radio about criminalizing aiming them at airplanes because of damage to pilot’s eyes and that they have documented two cases of pilots’ eyes being damaged by same.

i can’t get my red dot to stand still on something not moving 10’ away. can’t imagine how close someone would have to be to the airplane to get it to focus on a pilot’s retina! sounds like hogwash scare tactic.

Ditto what Scott said. Andrew, call mythbusters.:smiley:

No really it isn’t hogwash.

I was a laser safety officer in a previous life.

Without too much detail here, it all has to do with things like beam angle, beam color, beam intensity and exposure time for any given laser class.

If you look at your laser there should be a label identifying it’s class and any warnings appropriate for it use.

More Info Here

Ditto

From what I’ve heard, it’s mainly the green pointers, although red will damage the retina. Besides, anyone can get in a lucky shot.

There are also many lasers used in medical and communications applications that are not visible to the human eye but can do much damage to human tissue.

My IR thermometer doesn’t fit in my pocket. Do I have a really old one, kind of like old cell phones?

A lot of our guys use the small CSI type flashlights with combo led/laser lites on them. Real handy flashlight and only about 5" long.

I have several of those, but I find the beams to be too wide when trying to show something to a Client that is on a ceiling, or at the water heater that is not accessible due to 20 feet of storage blocking access. Laser pointers come in very handy for that, and considering the cost of an IR thermometer versus the cost of a laser pointer, I like my IR thermometer to be in my tool bucket as much as possible.

I carry all my tools in a small tool pouch I hook to my belt. It’s got a nice pocket for the IR thermometer.

i understand, as a layman, the inherrent danger of the thing but think about it – under what circumstances would an airline pilot (he would have to be in a plane) get eye damage from a laser pointer? lets assume they are not being aimed at up in the sky. that leaves the runway and the gate. so how close, in laymans terms, and how steady would your aim have to be?

I tried a tool pouch hooked to my belt, but that made it difficult to move around in crawl spaces, and to get into those 9x9 attic openings. So I chose a took bucket. With the toolk bucket, I also weigh less!

There are laser pointers available with a range of one mile. It doesn’t have to be aimed, per sé. One can just be outside waving it around to have fun when it accidentally hits someone in the eye. That’s all it takes.

and to think, this thread started with Russel finding a good pointer

Well, I don’t know whether or not they are good, but I did order three of them. The company was so appreciative that they sent me a personal email thanking me for my order:

Red lasers are sedlom a problem because of the reflex(aversion) response of the human eye to that wavelength.

The math and measurements required to determine laser classification is very detailed.