Last of the 1890's Federal or To Beam or Not To Beam

Originally Posted By: psabados
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4823.JPG ]

This first picture was taken through a hole in the basement foundation and access has been blocked. Note the partial beam, no wonder why the corners sag

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4829.JPG ]

Basically anything that was available was used to shore up sagging floor joist. Area to the left is the cistern.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4832.JPG ]

Concrete slabs

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4833.JPG ]

Tree branches, one of about a dozen, I quit counting after 6

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_48481.JPG ]

Mortared bricks from a partially knocked down chimney

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4840.JPG ]

To any piece of lumber that could be found

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/IMG_4820.JPG ]

And the walls keep tumbling down! Hope you all enjoyed the tour

Paul

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Hey Paul,

Let me ask a question, isn't that part of Kansas a Tornado area?? If that is the case, why is that house still standing. I've seen bad foundations and crawl spaces in my time, but Man, none like that, whew!!

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.

Ron

You know, after I finished writing up my report and looked at the pictures, I realized that I probably shouldn't have gone into that area. Knock down one of those supports and who know's I could have been squashed like a bug.

Last year a small F1 was about a mile an a half away from the town. If anybody is interested in a charming 18th Century, in need of some TLC this ones available. Only 80K ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Paul

You got that right! Try and be a little more careful in the future - we want you around for a while!! icon_smile.gif

ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I will never, ever, buy a home with a crawlspace…what horror stories I have seen under there…and the inexpensiveness of building a crawlspaced home is offset by the cost of repairs after due to lack of access…full basements or nothing for this guy!

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Actually Kevin

A lot of the newer homes that are being built in this area over crawl spaces can be quite useable. Three to four feet of headroom, lighting installed, finished concrete floors and in some cases equipped with a sump pump and even hvac. It depends upon the builder and I suppose the person that is paying for the construction.

Kind of like a mini basement, all it needs is a mini bar and a mini TV. Tell the wife and kids about spiders and bugs, they'll never go looking for you in that spot ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif) You get what you pay for.

Paul

Originally Posted By: jpope

kmcmahon wrote:
I will never, ever, buy a home with a crawlspace....

Actually Kevin, when properly constructed, crawl spaces (raised foundations) can be much more practical than slabs ![icon_wink.gif](upload://ssT9V5t45yjlgXqiFRXL04eXtqw.gif)

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Both of you Gentlemen are absolutely correct. Kewvin

Both of you Gentlemen are absolutely correct. Kevin, let me add a detriment against slabs. The plumbing is usually wrapped and then laid in before the concrete is poured. Some time later if the slab base was not compacted, scarified, mesh/rebar was properly done, the slab can settle, crack, shift, etc. which will cause the piping to crack, leak etc. If it is water, you just have carpet & wall damage. But, what if it is a gas line ruptures and is ignited?

I know that I have painted a bleak picture, do these happen, yes they do!!

I personally, would never own a house with a slab. In the winter time, man due those floors get cold.

Ron.

--

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

All of the basement slabs here only have a floor drain…nothing else is buried underneath.

In a crawlspace, if the plumbing is underground, what are you going to use to dig it up? Shovel better have a real short handle. The crawlspaces I see rarely have 18" of clearance. Had one that was 3’ which was nice and a concrete slab. Always potential for freezing in a crawlspace which adds to problems not easily detected as seen in this photo…they had no idea the sewer-line cracked. People don’t go down to inspect crawlspaces near as much as they go down to the basement to store items, do laundry, etc. where they would notice problems when they occur. That’s my point.

![](upload://e045HYiLhgO97j93hV5pOcx9SQR.jpeg)

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Kevin,

When you are referring to a slab home, you are speaking of a slab laid on top of compacted soil and a perimeter foundation. The mud sill and stick framing is placed on top of that, with the utilities placed in the concrete as poured. I am not speaking of a basement or crawlspace slab.

One other problem with a slab foundation, is if the soil surrounding the foundation/slab is not graded away from the slab properly, water can seriously undermine the foundation/slab and cause great harm, such as shifting, settling etc. Which requires mud jacking to correct!!

Ron.

--

Originally Posted By: John Harrison

That picture of the broken sewer line in the crawlspace is just nasty.

If the homeowners didnt know something was wrong from the smell, then there had to have been some marriage problems due to thinking eachother stank.

I had the sewer ventpipe get blocked in my house and believe me you could tell it.

I hate having to go into crawlspaces

Originally Posted By: Peter Foxe Smothers

Paul,

It must have taken you a life time to finish the report on this Federal. The current owners sure got their moneys worth! If your really unlucky they might ask you to come reinspect when the repair work is complete, that's if the house does not tumble into itself before then.
![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Foxe Smothers

Peter

Haven't anything from the owner/seller, but the way they do things around here I'm sure the report has made it into their hands. It was time consuming but since many of the normal inspections area's were not included it made it a lot easier. Buyer decided that after 2 plus hrs of what I posted was enough not to buy.

It's still available, need the HGTV crew out here to do an extreme makeover

Paul