Laughing about NACHI's works in progress? Don't laugh too loud.

All true, but help me understand why we as NACHI can’t be ahead of the inspection industry by 10 miles instead of 1 and require a proctored entrance exam?

Simple question, please give me a simple answer. Thanks

:-;; :-;; :-;; :-;; :-;; :-;; :-;; :-;; :-;; :-;; :roll:

Why do so many realtors think ASHI is the gold standard as far as inspector affiliation?
I think the memborship fee for joining NACHI is the best expenditure I’ve made in hindsight regarding my inspection business. The benefits are tremendous,(wish there was less squabling relating to ethics issues, glad that’s on the members only section), but I digress- Is it because ASHI has been around longer? Why that perception with many realtors?
I guess it’s a matter of educating them.
I walked in to a local realtor’s office last week and asked for info about home inspections. They produced a list of 25 ASHI inspectors, all on a printout with ASHI letterhead. I need to cross reference the names to see how many of them have other affiliations I have some work to do.
Just wondering why it is…

NACHI suggests that rather than practicing on 250 Clients, just pretend you are already qualified an a Full Member.

http://nachi.org/membership.htm
**Note to New Inspectors: **

NACHI does not make a public distinction between these two levels of membership. No law requires you to publicly announce what your NACHI member level is so you are simply a “Member.” This is true for many other professions. For instance, a lawyer is not required to warn his first client about his lack of experience. Also, no law recognizes experience and knowledge gained outside the performance of inspections (many inspectors were once involved in construction). Since every inspector’s experience is different there is likely no correlation between real experience and level of membership. Furthermore, since no law requires a public disclosure of an inspector’s experience (or lack of it), NACHI does not require it either. If you are only a new working member you need not alarm your clients. If you are a full member there is nothing preventing you from touting it. You must be one or the other though. NACHI does not “brand” new inspectors with derogatory terms such as “Associate” or “Candidate” because NACHI has an entrance exam. Many agents blacklist associates and candidates. If you are a member you may call yourself a “Certified Member” or a “Certified Home Inspector.”

Chuck

Real simple answer – THE COST OF THE PROCTORING

It not only costs to have it done but it costs the member to go to a site to be examined

PLEASE remember that a proctored exam is BS when people are honest and the exam is structured as such that cheating would be hard even if taken by a team

I had no problem passing it without help and you probably did also. Why cheat?? If you can’t pass it on your own why spend the $$ for membership and go into the HI bus knowing that you don’t have the skills or knowledge to inspect a dog house.

Trust me if I had failed the exam I would have gotten out of the profession

—A lot of these exams and CE’s are a wake up call for us to shape up or ship out

rlb

Nick,

Yes there are ASHI candidates that perform home inspections. Every inspector has to start somewhere. I’m not saying that it’s right, but it’s a reflecton of the home inspection industry in general - not a specific association problem.

Now where I get really confused is why you think a brand new inspector who joins NACHI is any better than a new inspector from another club?

You just can’t use the on-line exam as the differential. Nobody believes it.

Erol “Mild Mannered” Kartal
ProInspect

Erol

What would you want for a new inspector – the first born –

rlb

Rich:

If you were a Consumer purchasing a Home, and looking to contract with a Home Inspector, what would you want?

Was my post that hard to understand Richard? Read it again it might help.

Rich,

With all due respect, the cost excuse is a cop out.

I’m still waiting on Nick to respond. I’ll ask again,

Why can’t NACHI set itself apart from any association by requiring a entrance exam being proctored?

For the record I’m not in favor of grandfathering. We all must take the exam.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but wasn’t the education people working on new entrance exams? WTF happened? The MAB made a serious effort to get this done and it was swept under the carpet for the sake of driving up numbers.

What say the Nickster…What’s your position on a proctored entrance exam? Do you have one?

ASHI requires 250 Inspections prior to advertisement as being a Full ASHI Member.

No Opinions?

Chuck,

I have been asking that same question for a very, very long time.

A proctored exam with no grandpa’s will silence the critics so quickly you’ll hear a pin drop. I guess nobody else see’s it that way.

We see it that way in Florida. The exam will be proctored through the chapters. At this evenings meeting we discussed this and everyone was in agreement.

Erol, We all know that this requirment would send membership to new lows. That is why it’s not done, no other reason could possibly exsist. Also If NACHI did this, all it would take is another short minded person to start another association and model it after NACHI and capture the market that NACHI would leave behind. That’s the simple answer to a simple question…Never mind Nick, we get it… I just I was hoping you would.

Sounds Like NACHI Florida is starting there own NACHI…good for them, maybe they can break away and change the name and do some good. FACHI…copywrited by me.

Sorry Chuck, I was out today. The answer to your question is 2-fold.

1. Adding or increasing our entrance requirements doesn’t really distinquish us any further from other associations because we are already distinguished from other associations by having entrance requirements at all. http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm Other associations need to catch up and develop some. They have no entrance requirements at all.

2. NACHI tries to stay away from being a credential-only association. 99.99% of what NACHI does has absolutely nothing to do with credential setting. Let states worry about setting minimum standards if they so choose, it is simple enough… we’ll do everything else. http://www.nachi.org/whats_new.htm Besides, this way we don’t have to worry about competing with governments on their own turf (credential setting) with the exception of maybe CMI (high credential setting). Let Ceasar have what is Ceasar’s.

Since you brought up distinguishing ourselves from other associations, I will say that I don’t think we have much competition. Every competing (if you want to look at them as competitors) association I know of is a No-entrance requirement, no membership benefit competitor. They only survived for a time in NACHI’s absence. Now it is over for them, we need only run the ball at this point.

I’ll keep watching the rear view mirror at NACHI but until such time as we see an association come on the scene with entrance requirements and massive member benefits… I suspect the trend of NACHI’s success and industry dominance will continue. Like the NAR is to real estate, so will NACHI be to inspectors… a lone trade association for the industry… and it is happening faster than I could have ever hoped.

I think you know what most everyones oppinion is on that subject.:twisted::wink:

Not what I wanted to hear,see you later 9-3-06. I fail to see the reason to wait for the others to catch up, but what I really think is it will hurt new member numbers. For that reason, NACHI is not being progressive enough for me…9-3-06

DITTO!!!

Chuck, It won’t matter. We’ll have won it all shortly and there is not much anyone can do to change that outcome. Market trend is not easy to fight.

I don’t even need to launch the 3 nukes dicussed (REAL Property Times, CMI, RealMatcher) but I’m doing it for good measure anyway. PlanetNACHI… resistance is futile.

Others have said they are leaving but they keep coming back. We would miss ya Chuck.