Lawn Irrigation System Inspection Course

Inspection & Writing Assignment:

The attached spray sprinkler is manufactured by Rain Bird it is a 4" pop-up sprinkler. This model sprays in a half round pattern which is typically used along fences and foundation walls. The head is designed to spray a radius of 12’ with a pressure of 20 psi. The head has an adjustment screw in the center of the head to adjust the flow of water.

Research & Writing Assignment:

Atmospheric Vacuum Breakers AVB are one options for preventing contamination of the potable water supply. Installation of the AVB must be 6" higher then the highest spray head on the system. If the pressure on the supply side of the valve is lower then the discharge side, air will be pulled into the system to prevent contaminated water from entering the system.

In this picture we can see a sprinkler valve body the has been cracked and was ponding water around the valve box. Even with a proper installation after 18 years the valve bodies may begin to leak or run more risk of cracking.

In the illustration of a irrigation system we can learn the an atmospheric vacuum is installed between the water shut off and the zone control valves. WE can also learn that the controller clock is used to control the different valves to control different sprinkler heads.

This valve supplying water to a lawn irrigation system is cracked. The cracking is most likely due to freezing. It is recommended that the homeowner hire a qualified professional to winterize the lawn irrigation system each year to protect the system.
*Full disclosure: this image was found online (credit: www.outbacklandscapeinc.com), not taken by myself. In the course of my inspections, I have yet to inspect a home with a lawn irrigation system. The comments and thoughts and recommendations are mine.

In the “Irrigation System” diagram, it is interesting to note that the diagram does show additional valves on the manifold not in use. In the course videos, the instructor indicated that a quality install would like include additional valves for later expansion of the system.
Illustration viewed: https://www.nachi.org/gallery/?level=picture&id=2808

Its hard to be an expert in irrigation manifold when they are literally hundreds of different styles and manufacturers. Th most important part of inspecting the irrigation manifold is insuring you here the solonoids activate the zone and that there are no cracks/defects when visual inspection happens

Valve boxes give the irrigation switches and or manifolds a safe environment to operate in. They keep the valves clean and safe from damages that may occur to them if they are installed above ground. If these valves are not protected in a box then servicing becomes difficult and you can run the risk of damaging the components or low voltage wiring.

Mounted to the garage gutter is a sprinkler system water sensor. If an unexpected rain arrives, meaning you may be watering your lawn at the same time as a downpour. As a result, your automatic sprinklers do not come on in the rain and resume a normal watering pattern once the area dries.

While taking the how to inspect lawn irrigation systems course, I became knowledgeable in the types of spray pattern options (fixed, rotating, micro-misting) and sprinkler heads (180 and 360 degrees). During future inspections, if I see a lawn sprinkler contributing to the deck post decay, I will defect the sprinkler head.

Residential irrigation system inspection
This system has several dedicated zones for the lawn and several for low pressure zones for plants and garden. The lawn zones are working properly at normal pressure 40-60 lbs. the low pressure zones have the proper pressure reducing valve keeping the pressure at 20lb or below. All the zones are controlled with a modern digital clock controller located in the garage.

Internachi library of inspection articles,
Back flow prevention
Back flow from and irrigation system can spread contaminated water back into the residential potable water supply. The irrigation system uses two different back flow prevention valves. The atmospheric vacuum dreamer (AVD) and the double check valve assembly. The AVD must be at least 6" above any point downstream to work properly and is most effective from back syphonage. The double check valve system is effective from back pressure and back syphonage.

Lawn irrigation systems are is a great way to make sure yoru lawn is gett ing the right amount of water . You can have a timer installed to have the water feed your lawn at certain times or you may set it towhereyou can run the system manually

If water from the sprinkler system hits a wooden deck or balcony on a regular basis, it could be dangerous. Excessive water can cause decay of the wood Which in turn can cause the structure of the deck/Balcany to become weak . Can be a hazardous condition and cause bodily injury

In a yard sprinkler system there should be a Pressure Vacuum Breaker as seen in the photo. This vacuum breaker should be located at least 6" higher than the highest sprinkler head. The purpose of this Breaker is to prevent cross-contamination of pubic water in case of a line breakage. There is also available a Double Check Valve that can be mounted at ground level and it will also prevent cross-contamination.

The yard sprinkler system will have an electrical control valve for each zone represented. If there are 6 zones to irrigate there should be 6 separate control valves. Each control valve will control a certain number of sprinkler heads for each zone. If there is a zone specifically for plants the water pressure may be reduced with a water pressure reduction valve in that particular zone. These valve reduce the water pressure to 20 psi or less.

in this picture there is a broken sprinkler head. will need a qualified irrigation person to come and fix. will need to shut irrigation off so its not just wasting water on its cycle. other sprinklers are not working due to this one taking all the water pressure

irrigation system has a Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker to keep dirty water from draining back into the clean water system. needs to be at least 6 inch above the highest sprinkler head to keep dirty water from siphon back into clean water system

In this home I was able to locate the controller clock in the garage. The unit is properly braced to the wall and has the instruction manual. It is a recent model that has many features that allows the home owner to water the lawn more efficiently. In addition, the controller clock has a rain sensor that is properly braced to the wall and privacy fence in the back yard (controller for rain sensor is mounted next to controller clock). Next, I tested each zone manually and did not observe any fails throughout the system;there were no leaks or poor “head to head” coverage.

I studied an irrigation system diagram in the InterNACHI gallery. The diagram shows the direction that water flows through the system. In this example the flow starts at the shutoff valve in the basement and heads to the vacuum breaker and exterior shut-off valve outside. This feeds the zone control valves that lead to the sprinkler heads. The zone control valves are connected to the control clock that dictates when they operate.