Lawn Irrigation System Inspection Course

https://www.nachi.org/gallery/?level=picture&id=2808
This picture of an irrigation system shows a complete system from sprinkler heads to zone control valves on the manifold thru the vacuum breaker / back flow preventor to the water supply valve with drain valve. I believe the main cause of freeze breakage is based on incomplete draining of the water system. All of the water needs to be drained. The line between the water supply and the vacuum breaker needs to be drained as well as the line to the sprinkler heads.

The irrigation control clock, located in the garage, is not secured to wall. Correction needed. All the valves and heads appear serviceable. The sprinklers are set to 35 minutes a zone. I recommend lowering the duration to save on water and money. Plus, your grass will be less soggy. I recommend review and repair by a qualified gardener.

Irrigation systems should distribute water to plants and not spray fencing, decking, or any other wood structure. Long term contact will contribute to wood decay and eventual failure of the structure. It can also present a slip hazard on the deck or patio area. I recommend review and repair by a qualified gardener.

Valve is actually call an Atmospheric Vacuum Breaker

This sprinkler head that is located in zone 6 at the very back part of the back yard in the center of the yard has a leak at either the internal seals or a leak caused from a crack in the housing or body of the sprinkler or at one of the connections causing this excess water to be collecting at the base of this sprinkler head on the ground.
Recommend having a licensed certified irrigation contractor evaluate and advise of the situation.

Wood root has been discovered at the posts for the deck due from excessive water not only from rain also from the irrigation/Sprinkler System.
When the wood doesnt have a chance to dry out the wood becomes a sponge then retains the water starting the wood root decaying process.
Recommend changing the spray pattern of the sprinklers near the deck support posts.

Gesture App Lock
App Faker
Pattern App Lock
FingerPrint App Lock
Speaks out the incoming contact name from call](http://www.uniqsofts.com/callernameannouncer/)
Speaks out the incoming contact name from message](http://www.uniqsofts.com/callernameannouncer/)
Speaks out content you copy to clipboard](http://www.uniqsofts.com/callernameannouncer/)
shake to unlock](http://www.uniqsofts.com/power-button/power-button/)

This inspection had several heads that were leaking and missing. This particular head was both leaking and damaged. Also had exposed wires from the valve. The system was wrote up as failing and advise to have irrigation company to further evaluate.

When inspecting irrigation systems you need to inspect each zone for leaks and coverage of spray. Need to also check to make sure the system has adequate pressure to make all valves operate correctly. If system fails any of these it needs to be failed.

This is a picture of a broken spray head and in my report I identified this head as a geyser. I use the term geyser because water is spraying straight up. The broken head has caused water pressure in the zone to decrease and only 1 other head in this zone was working.

A critical component of the lawn irrigation system is the vacuum breaker. The most common type seen in my area is called a double check backflow preventer. The controller clock is another key piece of the system. I encourage my clients to plug them into a surge protector to save the clock if there is a lightning strike.

Here we have miselaneous PVC parts used in irrigation systems. Installers will often use PVC to route the water through the yard and to the sprinkler heads. PVC connections must be made with a special PVC glue that holds the bond securely against the pressure of water.

Laminate floors can take a beating. They are fairly easy to install. They are made up from recycled paper and wood products. They are cheaper then a real wood floor. They can resemble wood, marble or other designs.
When inspecting,look for buckling,peaking,gaps,peeling,mold,chips,blemishes,cracks,stains,looses boards and warped boards.

The sprinkler valve controls the release of water to a specific zone in a sprinkler system. The control panel or box sends an electrical signal to the valve to turn it on for a set amount of time, then turns it off.

In the article, Insulation R-Value by Nick Gromicko and Ethan Ward, I learned that R-value is the measurement of a material’s level of thermal resistance. The higher the R-value, the better a material’s thermal resistance. Other factors such as installation of the insulation and the structure of the house.

I have really enjoyed studying this course. From double check valve assemblies to the pressure reducing valve and clocks, this course covered it all. The Instructor was very knowledgeable and he knew his stuff. Thanks again for everything InterNACHI. Michael Altizer

I have really enjoyed studying this course. From double check valve assemblies to the pressure reducing valve and clocks, this course covered it all. The Instructor was very knowledgeable and he knew his stuff. Thanks again for everything InterNACHI. Michael Altizer

This photo shows an atmospheric back flow preventer which is common in my area. It is on a riser to ensure that it is at least 6" above the other components of the system. It does have two shut off valves to stop water flow for service and winterization. This one has damaged insulation on the risers which I would recommend be replaced to prevent freeze damage.

After reading the article on inspecting a garage I was reminded of a number of things regarding trusses. One one no field alterations or repairs of trusses without an engineers stamp of approval. Also the bearing points of the trusses should be on outside bearing walls. I also learned to pay close attention to the fasteners used to join the truss chords as well as those used to join the trusses to the wall plates. Improper or damaged fasteners can contribute to failure of the system.

This is a double check valve assembly used for irrigation systems. It can be placed anywhere in the system and is used to prevent the back flow of water into the water supply in the event of a downstream break and depressurization.