Lead paint testing kits

What is the going rate for a lead paint test using and home depot or lowes kit?

really ???

2 Likes

Got an agent that insist that I test the paint in an older home and I’m not sure if the kits are reliable and if so what is the going rate. I know the kits are about $25.00 at the home improvement stores.

Just my opinion, but I’d think getting hooked up with a reliable lab for test results would be a good first step.

1 Like

So you want to put yourself in the position to testify in court how lead paint is tested with a Home Depot test kit after a kid ends up with lead poisoning and the mother watches those ambulance chasing lawyer commercials on TV? Maybe you should also test for Roundup! .

Tell her to go to Lowes and do it herself. It’s no more her job than yours.

Have you read this yet?
https://www.epa.gov/lead/lead-abatement-program-training-and-certification-program-lead-based-paint-activities-tsca

2 Likes

Maryland has laws regarding lead paint. Your area may also. The Maryland Department of the Environment licenses lead paint testing in MD. Charging a fee for using a third party lead paint test kit would probably violate licensing laws.

Ronald, you cannot possibly test the whole house for lead based paint. :flushed:

I would just assume that if the house was built before 1978 that it had lead based paint in it.

From Google:

Lead - based paint and lead contaminated dust are the most hazardous sources of lead for U.S. children. Lead - based paints were banned for use in housing in 1978. All houses built before 1978 are likely to contain some lead - based paint . However, it is the deterioration of this paint that causes a problem.

https://www.epa.gov/lead/protect-your-family-exposures-lead

Hope this helps and keeps you out of court. :smile:

Thanks all for the feedback. I will follow-up. I really appreciate the responses. It sets me on the right course.

1 Like

Absolutely not your job Ron!
Cheers

1 Like

Thank you sir. I really appreciate it.

My reply to lead paint testing inquires, Don’t let your kids chew on window or door trim. Usually gets a laugh. I get the job:-)