Leakage Current Detection and Interruption (LCDI) and AFCI

Originally Posted By: jtedesco
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Leakage Current Detection and Interruption (LCDI) and Arc Fault Circuit Interrupter (AFCI).

A single-phase cord-and-plug-connected room air conditioner will be required to be provided with factory-installed LCDI or AFCI protection.

The LCDI or AFCI protection will be an integral part of the attachment plug, or be located in the power supply cord within 12 in. of the attachment plug.

Quote:
NECH COMMENTARY: Generally, portable room air conditioners are used only on a seasonal basis and are removed and stored at the end of the cooling season.

During the life of a room air conditioner, the installation and removal occurs many times, and there is an increased likelihood of a damaged cord as a result of the unit being set on the cord or pushed against it.

To provide enhanced protection against fires initiated by damaged supply cords, all single-phase cord-and-plug-connected room air conditioners are required to be equipped with either leakage current detection and interruption protection or arc-fault circuit interrupter protection.

The protective device is required to be installed in the appliance cord and must be within 12 in. of the attachment plug.

Courtesy 2002 NECH: www.nfpa.org

Question: Has anyone seen this new product? If so please let us know where you found it.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm

Originally Posted By: Ryan Jackson

Hi Joe. I remember reading that section when I first got the 2002 NEC, but I still haven’t seen a new window mount A/C since then! Rest assured, if I do see one installed, it will have the protection and I’ll get a picture of it. icon_smile.gif

Ryan Jackson, Salt Lake City

Originally Posted By: jtedesco

Hello Ryan:

Glad to see you come aboard! I will also keep my eyes open for the equipment.

You will have the ability to post some of your pictures here.

Keep in mind that we want to speak to those items related to electrical safety and premises wiring systems (from the drip loop into the home) in dwellings, including multifamily.

--
Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant

www.nachi.org/tedescobook.htm