Leaving equipment behind

Originally Posted By: jremas
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Today I left my pick bar in the sand mound along with some marker flags. The listing agent called me and told me that the sellers called them to let them know I left them behind. I was shocked because the buyers cut the inspection short after a failed septic, a bad roof and fungus with wood rot in the crawlspace.

I drive back because I was only 12 miles away and had time before my afternoon inspection.

This was the 3rd time that I left my pick bar behind. One client still has one of my pick bars and I keep forgetting to go back.

BTW, Don, you should work on your professionalism if you want to be in this business. I have noticed some of your posts and you are exactly what the profession does not need.

I don't mean to be harsh but this is starting to get ridiculous.

--

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: Don

Jeff dude this is a website messugbored. this is america and i am free. I dont need aholes like you dissin me. when i am inpspecting I am a pro dude, a real pro. this is a place for us to unwind.

TAP THE KEG GARTH

--
Don Warnig
Advanced NY Inspections

Originally Posted By: dedwards

It’s a running joke in my house as to what I left behind. Ive almost always gotten the items back but not always. Most of the time I can attribute it to someone talking to me and I got distracted and set the item down and missed it when I did my final check. Ive gotten better but I still leave something every now and then. Like Jerry, its the expensive item that hurts the most. Lost a IF Raytek once, went right back within minutes and the old bag said she hadnt seen it. She had been a royal pain in the butt the whole inspection (seller) so I figure she hid it. It was a used one and only cost me $30 at a Pawn shop but the replacement cost me a lot more. OUCH!

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

Don wrote:
how much should i budget for tools? I have a flashlight a screwdriver a ladder and a clipbored.

BUDLIGHT

Well, you will need a cooler for the bud light, and bag of ice. $15-$20, OR you can buy one of those coolers that plug into the truck. $65.00. ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)
You just can't give your client a warm beer.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Don wrote:
Jeff dude this is a website messugbored. this is america and i am free. I dont need aholes like you dissin me. when i am inpspecting I am a pro dude, a real pro. this is a place for us to unwind.

TAP THE KEG GARTH

Yes, Don, you are free.

Maybe you should charge that much for your services too.

People, including HIs and potential clients, read your posts. The impression you give is that you are more concerned about getting your beer and keeping it cold than much else. I know what, just put a sign on your truck "Will work for beer money."

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

I left my attitude at my first inspection today and I ain’t going back to get it. icon_cool.gif

Holy guacamoley!

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

I use a 4’ level for foundation walls and a bullet level for things like waste lines and water heater/furnace vent lines (if it looks like they have no pitch).

I’ve even used the 4’ level on garage floors to see which way the floor it pitching, and to measure the actual pitch on a lower pitched roof.

Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: ccoombs

Only 26 posts and you have managed to piss off a lot of people. Don, you must be an overachiever!

In all my jobs and experience I have noticed that people's actions rarely change drastically between on duty and off duty. The important thing to remember is that this message board is part of your work.

Don, I wish you the best of luck in your HI business.

By the way, I am also just starting out and I have a $4,000 budget per inspector for field equipment.

Originally Posted By: rmoewe

jpeck wrote:

Yes, Don, you are free.

Maybe you should charge that much for your services too."

![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Jerry, That is a good one.

Originally Posted By: mtimpani

My wife made up a “post inspection checklist” . It includes : phone, reports,contract, camera,payment,tool bag, tool belt,little giant, ladder,gas meter,thermometer,amp meter, check: stove burners,air/heat,doors,take pictures… I like it

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Don -

The other guys are correct. Class up your act if you're gonna be one of us.

Start talking about having a martini; getting a new digital ice pick to probe wood rot with; and using gell filled ergonomic knee-pads. That way even if you don't have any experience yet it will sound good (at least to a realtor, customer or another new inspector with no experience yet also).

Originally Posted By: mbartels

I think it is obvious by now that Don is a phony. I have never been one to have conspiracy theories, however, this one is pretty darn obvious.

Get a life Don. (whoever you are)

www.overbrookhomeinspection.com

It’s not over till you’re underground

Originally Posted By: aslimack

Don,

You're like, so harshin my mellow. And my mellow doesn't get harshed that easily. Step in line Swing cat. A little "entertainment" is o.k. from time to time, but lets not forget the main purpose of this board. Take a back seat and learn something.

Adam

Originally Posted By: rwashington

Ok, the profanity should be moderated. Can we delete Don’s comments even though he was creative in how he typed in his cursing? This message board is not free. It costs everyone of us money when a potential client can come on and read that garbage and decide NACHI is unprofessional.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Maglights - gone

1 four foot Ladder - gone

3 Termite probes - gone

1 GFCI tester - gone

1 Umbrella (Client used but never returned) - gone

1 Suretest - gone

1 Carson dunlop reference guide - gone

I finally got sick and tired of replacing my damn tools every month so I did what Bob B. did....I purchased a nice 30 pocket canvas tool bag. Now all I have to do when I leave an inspection is make sure every pocket contains a tool. I haven't lost a tool since I owned this bag.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: jmurray

kmcmahon wrote:
I use a 4' level for foundation walls and a bullet level for things like waste lines and water heater/furnace vent lines (if it looks like they have no pitch).
I've even used the 4' level on garage floors to see which way the floor it pitching, and to measure the actual pitch on a lower pitched roof.

Also comes in handy for sloping interior floors!
I remember way back when, when I considering purchasing my first house that I noticed the interior floors "sloping". I thought I'd better call a HI but, unfortunately I had to let him use my level to document on the report that this was indeed correct!

--
"A little less conversation and a little more action"!

Originally Posted By: roconnor

My basic tool kit consist of a flashlight and screwdriver … icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif … easy to keep track of …

Robert O’Connor, PE

Eagle Engineering ?

Eagle Eye Inspections ?

NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong

Originally Posted By: Vince Santos

dbowers wrote:
Don -

The other guys are correct. Class up your act if you're gonna be one of us.

Start talking about having a martini; getting a new digital ice pick to probe wood rot with; and using gell filled ergonomic knee-pads. That way even if you don't have any experience yet it will sound good (at least to a realtor, customer or another new inspector with no experience yet also).

--
Desire is half of life, indifference is half of death.
--Kahlil Gibran

Originally Posted By: jpeck

dvalley wrote:
1 four foot Ladder - gone

I finally got sick and tired of replacing my damn tools every month so I did what Bob B. did....I purchased a nice 30 pocket canvas tool bag. Now all I have to do when I leave an inspection is make sure every pocket contains a tool. I haven't lost a tool since I owned this bag.

Which pocket does that ladder fit in?

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Jerry,

You are hilarious.

The ladder goes by the main entry once I'm through with it so I can see it on my way out. I used to place it in nooks and crannies of the home and forget to take it with me.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."