LEED Green Associates

And yet the B of A building is glass on all 4 sides.

This building is mostly glass on its lower half, plus they added skylights. This one is net/net zero. I think it is still the only commercial net/net in the country:

http://www.google.com/m/url?ei=1cx3TMhlgoarA4nu9YkC&q=http://www.greentechmedia.com/content/images/sponsored/resource_center/IDeAs_Case_Study.pdf&ved=0CBYQFjACOAo&usg=AFQjCNFQQ8QJlhWFgvaES2qVUTDGaFIsnQ

JJ

And the cost per square foot was what?

The last one I built in 2006 was $225 PSF Mike. Not cheap for this part of the Country.:slight_smile:

The link to the numbers is in post #36 in this thread.

1% increase in construction cost with a 40% reduction of power and a estimated 4.5 year payback on the energy efficiency upgrades.

It works out to $476.19 a sq ft. By comparison the BOW building in Toronto is almost 2x that per sq ft and is not considered a green building. Trumps recent property in Chicago was $325.77 sq ft. The three buildings are all built differently and for different purposes. So it is hard to compare them by the cost per sq ft.

So if the B of A building lasts 50 years that is 45.5 years of 40% savings on power vs standard 2008 commercial building practices, minus that 1% increase in construction costs.

Once again, major corporations are not in the business of losing money. They are not going to build something that they are going to lose money on, if there is a good debate against that one simple fact I would love to hear it.

JJ

Thanks Jason and Mike, it is all about sustainable buildings.

The true sustainability is the triple bottom line. You are probably already familiar with the traditional bottom line. In business, the bottom line is on the bottom of the financial statement. The bottom line indicates how much money the business/project/investment made. Every business places the bottom line at or near the top of any important decision-making process.

The same decisions are made in development, design, and construction.
Nobody runs a business to lose money.

When we think about sustainability we need to look beyond the traditional bottom line.
True sustainability has three key aspects:

Economics
Environment
Social responsibility.

The three aspects succinctly describe the goal of sustainability. :slight_smile:

Economics
Environment
Social responsibility.

As long as it is the choice of the building owner. Great.

If it’s the heavy hand of government doing the mandating then we are no longer free.

:stuck_out_tongue:

Good for you.

Although I am new to the home inspection industry I have been a Certified LEED AP for Commercial Interiors for the past 2 years. Due to the economic meltdown I have only been involved in one LEED project, few people are not seeing the benefit here in Canada. I would appreciate any opinions on where interNACHI members see this going.
I am also a certified energy advisor in Canada, has anyone heard anything about what is happening to the enerGuide program.

Regards,

Rick Senior
bts property Inspections

Hi,

So my question is what can you do with Leed AP certification?

Thanks,

Tim

What have you done with your LEED accreditation?

My LEED Green Asociate is only good when the company is Bidding a new Project that is being built green. Helps the company get work at colleges which are green build most of the time.

Right now nothing is going on.

I got my LEED AP almost two years ago. It was a tough test. I am also finding it hard to get work from it. How are you doing?

Helped out my employer more than it helped me in most cases.
Although a couple of jobs I applied for requested AP which I am not. Just an Associate.
Hard test indeed. :slight_smile:

I got the A.P. awhile back and quite honestly, hasn’t brought in any more work. I do appreciate the knowledge that went along with those grueling hours Marcel alluded to though. Knowledge is definitely a good thing. I’m sure one day it will come in handy.

Bert

1 Like