Legal Questions from exam

Hello, I took the exam and did not pass. I messed up the area of the legal and ethics questions. I have a couple questions that I keep not knowing the answer to.

1. The questions states that the inspector goes to a house and finds that the agent tells him the owner is traveling. Does the inspector complete the inspection and let the agent sign? Or does the inspector wait for the owner to comeback?
  2. During an inspection, if the owner asks the inspector to turn on an appliance, does he turn it on?
  3. If the inspector goes to inspect a house and the owner is his brother, does he write that in the inspection notes? not mention it? leave and not do the inspection?

If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated. I just do not know what the techincally correct answers for the questions and i feel like i keep getting them wrong.

Which exam?

Those questions are poorly worded, or you’re not explaining it correctly.
Using non-specific pronouns is confusing.

And yes, what exam?

1 Like

it was the illinois licensing exam. i do not remember the exact wording of the questions but let me make them clearer.

1. The questions states that the inspector goes to a house and the agent tells him (inspector) the owner is traveling. Does the inspector complete the inspection and let the agent sign? Or does the inspector wait for the owner to comeback?
  2. During an inspection, if the owner asks the inspector to turn on an appliance, does the inspector turn it on?
  3. If the inspector goes to inspect a house and the owner is the inspectors brother, does he write that in the inspection notes? or does the inspector treat his brother like any other owner of a house being inspected? or is the inspector not supposed to inspect the brothers house at all?
1 Like

I think you may have a few of the important words in those questions incorrect. Such as owner, instead of your client and/or buyer.

Also, are you a member of InterNACHI?

1 Like

I am not from your state, so I do not know who governs the ethics. We could give the InterNACHI version…but you can do that on your own by reviewing course materials.

Based on MY interpretation of your questions, here are my thoughts.

1. your client is the buyer and not the agent. Your contract should be signed before you do the inspection and must be signed by your client, not the agent. YOu should not do the inspection without the client’s signature.
  2. appliances are technically outside the SOP, but if they are part of the transaction, I check them for operation. Do not do anything that is outside of the SOP that the client asks unless you do it routinely and can do so safely and knowledgably.
  3. doing a home inspection for client for a house that is owed by your brother is a conflict of interest and should not be conducted by you.
1 Like