Let sleeping dogs lay!

Originally Posted By: jhorton
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I guess most of us have this happen sooner or later. Yesterday I inspected an apartment building. We knocked on each unit and rang the door bell before entering.

Upon entering we would call out to make sure no one was home. Close to the end we entered one unit that the owner was obviously a duck hunter. We were commenting on the all the mounted ducks and related items. When I finished the downstairs I looked up the stairs and saw the attic scuttle. I grab my ladder and noisily headed up the stairs. I unfolded the ladder and walked around to the other side to climb up. I noticed bare legs hanging out from under the covers on a bed in the adjoining bedroom!

Needless to say I grabbed my ladder and made a hasty exit. All I could think was hunter, guns and a waking to a stranger in his apartment. Have to say that was a bit unnerving!

Thinking back I think I could have finished my inspection and this fellow would have never known! But then again it could have been a women for all I know. I didn't stick around to find out.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Are you sure that person was alive?

Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Yeah, they may have been dead.

That is pretty funny if they were alive. On one occasion, I was called out to an apartment to assist the police. they got a call that someone was not answering calls and was feared in dead. So we went and banged on the door and broke it open, the place was dark, so I found the light. With all the ruckus, our guys assumed nobody was home or they were dead. As the cop was walking down the hallway to the bedroom, I told him to hold up. I noticed the Galudet University poster.

Too late. The cop opens the door and is greeted with a takle from the deaf man who awoke to find the lights in the other room coming on. So us shouting Fire Department and Police did nothing. Luckily the cop didn't have time to shoot him, and he saw the uniforms and stopped.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: jhorton

eusa_clap.gif Now that is funny!

It did occur to me that he could be dead after we left. But I decided I wasn't going to tempt my luck and go back in there again.

--
Jeff <*\\><
The man who tells the truth doesn't have to remember what he said.

Originally Posted By: gbell

Before becoming a home inspector I had a company that remodeled apartment complexes. We were asked to go to an apartment that had been done for some time and was now occupied. No one answered the door after repeated knocks. My helper and I opened the door to see the resident on the floor in the doggie position with his dog. Don’t know if that image will ever fade into the past. You should have seen the look on the managers face when I went back and told her why we could not investigate the problem.

She called the police and we had the joy of watching him come out in handcuffs. The spca came and took the dog away.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: cmarshburn

Dang. That was you?

Chris Marshburn

Marshburn Home Inspections

Originally Posted By: John Harrison

I was out one day on a job clear out in the sticks. We were hired to fix a few light fixtures, and redo the plumbing in their new basement.

Half way through the job the man of the house says he has to leave and if we need anything just be sure to ask his wife.

With probably 20 minutes of work left I was walking through the house and happened to find the lady laying on her bed pleasing herself bedroom door wide open.

We finished our work and quickly left. The husband wasn’t happy about his bill, I think it may have been a setup to try to avoid paying his bill.

We should have charged extra for having to see that icon_eek.gif