Let the Ontario Government know your feelings

Yes agree wholeheartedly.

I have inquired on two occassions as to who make up the advisory panel. No answer to date. Does anyone have a list?

The list has been populated but the announcement will only be done in accordance to the guidelines set out by the MCS.
Each and every individual on that Board has been given explicit instructions and is acting in the best interest of the public.
I am sure that some will pass judgement on the group, but it is best to just lets things go now.

That remains to be seen. If we don’t know who is on the panel.

As of date, my contact with the MCS has not had the pleasure of a response as to whom is on the stakeholders panel.

By the MCS own admissions they did state that there would be an update released sometime in mid August.

The Panel is operating under “Chatham House Rules” which has strict rules that protect confidentiality of the members. Quote from Wiki - “*The Chatham House Rule is a core principle that governs the confidentiality of the source of information received at a meeting. *”
Each member has the choice to divulge that they are on the Panel, but cannot reveal the other members identity or they will be expelled from the discussions.

I call that “Keep your mouth shut” Rule.
Open it and it becomes the “Ousted” Rule.

There is nothing secretive about who is on a panel which is assembled under the pretence of consumer protection. The panel members if they in fact have been chosen to serve are not being asked for comment. What is being asked of MCS is who is on the panel. That fact must come from the MCS and has to be disclosed since its the core value of any possible licencing and given the government has openly publicized its willingness to licence home inspectors.

Remember its the government who chooses who is on the panel, not inspectors.
Your destiny is already being contemplated without inspectors input. The panel may not even represent inspectors. However I would expect to see at least the reps from all associations. What I don’t want to see is companies over inspection services on any panel! That is a conflict and it permits business entities inside info.

I can’t give the whole e-mail so here it is David.

[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][size=2]We are in the midst of receiving approvals to post the summary from the first meeting of the **expert **panel, including a list of the members. [/size][/FONT]

Does that mean you don’t approve of Holmes Group, Carson Dunlop, Pillar to Post, Oahi, Caphi, Amerispec, Canspec, Ahit, CanNachi, Nhicc or any other influential group I did not list that stands to gain if licensing goes through being on the panel David?:mrgreen:

Yes home inspection associations only. No business entities. Conflict of interest/pecuniary gain.

Doug, it’s precisely the fact we carry the can for a deal that is primarily caveat emptor that we get stung for the E&O insurance, and yes, there is something terribly wrong, not just with E&O but with the whole HI process.

The majority of home inspectors rely on realtors for the referrals.

The majority of those realtors demand soft reports.

The clause to only provide the report to the client, and not allows the realtor to see it unless the client says so amplifies the realtors immunity.

If every realtor got a copy of the report for the property they were selling, then that would mean if the deal fell through they would have the responsibility of full disclosure from then on.

I’m afraid until this, and many other things change, we are always going to be the ones that carry the can, unless the home buyer decides to not have, or is talked into not having, a home inspection.

The way to fix this problem is to ensure that home inspections are made a mandatory part of the home sale transaction.

The government won’t do this as it would allow Home Inspectors as a group, push prices up, to cover the increases in E&O, WSIB, Licensing, mandatory training etc.

Unfortunately, I feel that this whole process is showing the government wants a sword that cut’s on both edges, but is only prepared to swing it in one direction.

For those who are interested in the Chatham house Rule, the best place to understand what it is, and what it applies to is to go here: http://www.chathamhouse.org/about-us/chathamhouserule

Specifically these FAQ’s show how the muzzle is applied:

**Q. Can participants in a meeting be named as long as what is said is not attributed?
**A. It is important to think about the spirit of the Rule. For example, sometimes speakers need to be named when publicizing the meeting. The Rule is more about the dissemination of the information after the event - nothing should be done to identify, either explicitly or implicitly, who said what.

Q. Can you say within a report what you yourself said at a meeting under the Chatham House Rule?
A. Yes if you wish to do so.

Q. Can a list of attendees at the meeting be published?
A. No - the list of attendees should not be circulated beyond those participating in the meeting.

The panel has been selected!
As I have stated already some individuals may have been added to the panel according to knowledge. What we all will need to accept is they have all been screened and given explicit instructions.
Here is the list sent to me among many other contacts for the files.
Panelists:
· Graham Clarke, engineer/home inspector
· Doug Downey, real estate lawyer
· Tony Grewal, home inspector/business owner
· David Hellyer, engineer/home inspector
· Len Inkster, home inspector/business owner
· Patricia Jensen, consumer advocate
· William Juranic, educator
· Doug Kendal, home inspector/business owner
· Claude Lawrenson, educator
· Peter Marcucci, consumer advocate
· Johnmark Roberts, real estate broker of record
· Kim Smith, insurer
· TJ Smith, home inspector/business owner
· Blaine Swan, home inspector/business owner
· Trevor Welby-Solomon, inspection and construction technology, educator

The panel will focus on four themes: technical, professional, consumer protection and governance. The panel is working collaboratively to reach consensus on the findings and recommendations. The agenda and discussions at the first meeting included:

1. ground rules, roles and processes the panel will follow
  2.  background on home inspectors in Ontario and alike jurisdictions

3.  potential definition of home inspection and standards of practice  

The panel’s findings and recommendations report will be made available for the public and industry comment in late fall. The report and feedback will guide the government as it considers legislation for home inspectors.

Disponible en français.

*David Brezer, Director *
Consumer Policy & Liaison Branch, Ministry of Consumer Services

Thanks Kevin much appreciated … Roy

Roy I was waiting for this to see if I was going to make another move. It appears that there is balanced representation.
Our representative has been selected Timothy Smith. Notice that no Association is attached to the names on the list and is designed to be intentional.
In other words no major take over by other Associations.
We also want to thank Timothy for stepping up to the plate at this time for the good of Ontario InterNachi Inspectors.

Oh I also forgot that at this time the meeting is confidential and anything mentioned will be by MCS in late fall. This will all be used to guide the Government in the possible license process.

Why is Blaine Swan on the list? He is from Nova Scotia?

Why is Trevor Welby Solomon on the list? He is president of Pillar to Post.

Graham Clarke is VP of Carson Dunlop.

At least two special interests and one outsider. Sweet!

Before this becomes an issue Timothy Smith is also a OntarioAchi member on the Board however has been given explicit instruction to represent InterNachi.
It will not matter what Association you belong to as all Home Inspectors will be required to build up enough knowledge to qualify for a license.

KEVIN likes to give the impression that he has the inside track on everything but just to be clear, I, and I believe everyone who sent letters to the government about the licencing issue received this same information.

Just sayin

Cheers

SORRY… Wrong I know of three who did not get this list .
It looks to me like if Kevin had not posted this list we might not have seen it .