Lets form a charitiable works fund. "NACHI FOUNDATION&

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I would like to form a fund to support good works. The NACHI Foundation or something. We could offer to donate $1 of every full inspection toward charitable purposes. Or perhaps create a form which asks the client if they want to donate $1 to NACHI charitable endeavors. Nothing mandatory. I could create a little brochure which lists all the charitable works we’ve supported. You could include the list with your marketing literature or http://www.nachi.org/binder.htm Does anyone want to run this or start a committee to handle it? Committee would have to do the basic bookkeeping, deposit donations, decide what charities we support, etc. Perhaps inspection companies that participate or donate could participate in the decisions some how. We could use the members-only section of the board to hash out everything. We don’t have to grow it into a monster but itt would be nice if we only did a little of this. Corporate support of charitable works seems like something we should think about doing.

Nick

Originally Posted By: Ken Papp

A good organization to donate to and get advertisement out there would be Habitat for Humanity…Just an idea icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Nick, as you know from our previous discussions I am very strongly in favor of this proposal, and have previously suggested that “Habitat for Humanity” is a great fit with our members.

I am not even sure that we need to be raising money although it is a great idea, we could just as members offer our collective help to any organization involved in housing, we could very easily be doing inspections of properties that any charity is considering purchasing for rehabilitation.

I hope that one of our members who has a good social conscious and who has a little bit of free time to invest in this can take on the task, I would be very happy to help out on this front, but my educational commitments do not allow me the free time to chair such a committee.

Gerry Beaumont

NACHI Education Committee

e-mail : education@nachi.org

NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: lmartin

Great Idea ! Nick,

We could pick 1 or more charities, and each Chapter could represent their State and keep funds for each State . Then at end of year grand total for the all Chapters .

Lester Martin / Maine

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Good Ideal

When I saw the first post I like the ideal but thought we could never agree on any charities (to many good ones out there, cancer, diabetes, heart, … )

Now that I read on down I belive we could. Habitat for Humanity is a good choice and probably the best choice, although it didn’t enter my mind. That’s why we need to hash out everything, get the best ideal and go for it.

Originally Posted By: Russell Stephens

I agree that Habitat for Humanity would be a great organization to donate to. We could also donate to one of the many organizations that help to renovate homes for the elderly.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I guess we had this idea before and I thought I just thought of it myself now. You shouldn’t have reminded me and I could have gone on thinking I’m brilliant as usual.

Anyway, I like habitat for humanity. Only good thing Jimmy Carter ever did. Besides it is tied to home inspections.

We need a chairperson.

I can't do it. I'm too busy taking credit for other member's ideas.

Nick icon_redface.gif

Originally Posted By: lfranklin

Just how would this work?

How many people would be interested?

Who would like to be the chairperson?

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Excellent plan. I would be more than happy to donate $$ to a national housing charity.

I would also include the Habitat For Humanity logo on my website asking if they would like to contribute $$ to this charity.

I'm GAME. icon_wink.gif

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Originally Posted By: lmartin

Very interesting , Habitat for Humanity

I checked out the web sights for Habitat for Humanity, was impressed with the " Green Team" builds environment friendly houses, conserving natural recourses and lowering utility bills.

There is much opportunity for Nachi to help in each State with donations and our knowledge of construction field.

Good Call ! Nick

Lester Martin / Maine

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Not that I am an opinionated person or anything but I do suggest you be careful of who you associate yourself with. Many organizations out there tend to be just a little radical and associating yourself or NACHI with them might just be enough to ensure you don’t work for a really long time!

Joe Myers

Hi Joe, your last post puzzles me, are you just playing devils advocate again, or do you really believe that our organization and members supporting an entity like Habitat really has a potential down side ?

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Hi to all,

I called Habitat for Humanity this morning and they are sending corperate sponsorship information packages to both Nick and myself, I will do a little leg work on this project, but I hope that before we go too far down this road that someone will tak this potential project over, I did speak to another member on the phone this wekend who is thinking that with his wifes support that he may be able to take this on, I hope we can continue to debate this issue whilst we get ourselves organized to do something worth while.
I am personally not sure that raising money is in the first instance, what we should be attempting, but I am sure that our members, should be willing to perform home inspections free of charge to this kind of entity, not only is it a great cause, but the Habitat projects always get great local press in the areas that they are active, I can think of no better way for our members to help their local communities, and possibly get some good local press support for both themselves and our organization.

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: rray

This is one of those things that I am very experienced at doing. My past transgressions in this area include Circle K and Key Club in high school, Alpha Phi Omega in college, Jaycees, American Heart Association, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Red Cross, SPCA, and probably a few others that I have forgotten about. And, yes, Habitat for Humanity. I helped them build a house in South Texas many, many years ago.

However, I just don't have the time to take it on as Chair as much as I would like to. My problem throughout my life is that I always have taken on too much, and most of the stuff that I did never paid me, so I sometimes got into financial trouble by not concentrating on work and paying the bills.

I would love to be on the Committee, though.

I think it would be a wonderful idea. After all, Realtors have organizations that they support. For example, I know a lot of them collect money for the Battered Women and Children shelters.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gerry,

Not habitat for humanity in particular but just to shed some light that not all are liked and/or legitimate associations. icon_biggrin.gif

I personally feel habitat for humanity is indeed a good cause, for good reasons with good results for many people that could use some kindness in their life.

Hmmm... devils advocate?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: Ken Papp

I wouldnt mind taking on a job of chairman, after all I did bring it up and it is something that I belive in icon_biggrin.gif . I will need input and some works of incouragement. I have one problem though…I and a “newbie” and still looking to get some ride-a-longs done…I am in the Harrisburg Pa area but willing to travel a bit fort the help in gettin my business started. I am currently un-employed so I have the time…just not much $$ and a very strong desire to make this work. Hope someone out there can help…Ken icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: rking

Hello All,

I like the idea too, but I am way up in Canada, I am trying to get other inspectors interested in forming a NACHI chapter up here so do not forget about your Canadian connection when getting all of this going!

--
Muskoka Home Inspections
"Wisdom is the Anticipation of the Consequences"
Steering Committee Member At Large

Originally Posted By: mrose

Hey Guys,

I'm in.

--
Mike Rose
Cornerstone Home Inspection Co. LLC
Lawrenceville, GA

www.cornerstonehomeinspect.com

Never doubted it Mike thanks. icon_smile.gif

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Originally Posted By: wcampbell

Ok, count This Ole House in.

This Ole House-Home Inspections

William A. Campbell TREC # 6372

Serving the Texas Coastal Bend

(361) 727-0602 (home)

(361) 727-0055 (office)

(361) 229-4103 (cell)