Let's rate Service Magic

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Let’s rate Service Magic…

My paid-for lead from yesterday turned out to be a tire-kicker. Asked lots of questions, wanted a saturday inspection, wanted a lower price, etc. Thought I convinced him to use me. When I called today, he said he still hadn't made up his mind, but followed-up with questions about what type of report he would receive. He was really looking for a "comprehensive" report with lots of photos and stuff. I found this a bit odd. This was the first person who ever asked me as to what he would get in his report, and certainly the first asking for lots of photos. Promised to call me back this afternoon with an answer. I wasn't pushy, and told him that weekends get booked fast. I was holding a spot for him, and to just let me know either way. PS, it's 6:45 and no call from this guy...

As I said... a tire kicker at best, a plant at worst... Maybe this was another inspector checking out his competition, I can't say. But, I think we should all start posting our experiences here. Maybe if we act as a block, we can have some influence as to what they will do for NACHI members. The way I hear it, we are only in the "first wave" (first to get leads) for the initial 60-day period...

Pendleton Thad (yes, that's his name) is anxious for feedback. Let's give him some. Good and bad.

Joe

Originally Posted By: Chris Morrell

I’ve added a poll to this thread. Rate Service Magic if you’d like.

Chris Morrell

Director of Information Technology

http://www.nachi.org/

Originally Posted By: ecrofutt

My contact with them has been limited to one phone call.

They wanted $95.00 to "investigate" me to determine if I could "be one of them".

Then they wanted $10.00 for each lead.

So I give them money to see if I can give them more money? No thanks.

Given the short turnaround time and relatively low cost of Home Inspections,I don't think it works well for Home Inspectors. I frequent several HI Message Boards and have yet to see anybody report a good experience with it.

I do think that it may work well on larger, longer projects, like remodels, etc.

Erby Crofutt
B4U Close Home Inspections
Georgetown, KY
www.b4uclose.com

Got another lead yesterday. Called client. Loved my credentials on the net, my price, my responsiveness. Hired me after a 5 minute conversation. No price haggling.

Inspected the home this morning. Said it was the best investment he made. Was his third house, and had never had an inspection like this one. He had already checked this house out with his brother-in-law, an electrician. I found electrical stuff his brother-in-law missed. Said he was going to give me the highest rating Service Magic would allow. Will recommend me to everyone he knows is buying a house. Buyers agent wanted him to use one of her recommended inspectors. He refused. Overheard her asking him why he thought I was qualified. The guy asked her if she had seen my qualifications. She hadn't. Sellers agent and buyers agent were bug-eyed at this inspection. Really, they were friggin' amazed. At the end of the inspection, the buyers agent was begging me to please advertise in her brokers listing book. This way, she could recommend me and not get in trouble. She asked me if I would inspect her own house.

This was a VERY positive experience. Let's see how it goes from here. icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: ismetaniuk

This membership was a big waste of my time!

Igor

Top To Bottom Inspections

Glen Spey, NY

Originally Posted By: mpatton

I have had mixed dealings with ServiceMagic. When I was approached to join SM I asked how many HI’s had been requested for my area during 12/02, I was surprise (10) had been requested.

I joined $90 to join and $10 per lead, this actually sounds like reasonable advertising money. However I have to say that I have a negative feel about the current situation. I have only received (5) leads ($50) one which would not respond, must screen calls and e-mails. I have performed (2) inspections due to SM leads. Both leads were related to distrusting their realtors? referrals for HI's. icon_sad.gif

I am planning on joining NACHI as we speak. By the way since this all about advertising is the cat out of the bag yet on which National real-estate company NACHI is currently about to announce as using NACHI members only?
icon_biggrin.gif

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Michael,

I'm pleased to learn of your decision to join NACHI. You'll find us to be a bunch of good folks who genuinely want to help each other, and try and watch each others backs. We can be VERY opinionated, as you will soon learn.

Welcome to NACHI

Joe Farsetta icon_cool.gif

Originally Posted By: Dennis Byrum

My relationship with Service Magic has not been that great. I have recieved leads from them recently and 90% of the time, I get a telephone call from the same person that submitted to Service Magic. Luck? Maybe so but with that kind of luck recently, I have not accepted leads from them in some time.

Dennis L. Byrum

National Property Inspections, Inc.

Springfield, TN

615-212-0629

Originally Posted By: mpatton

Dennis,

If I understand your comment correctly, you have received calls from the potential SM customer.

Something that has happened to me is that I have yet to be notified of a lead and received a call from a client only to find that they received information on me from SM. A couple of hours later they show up as a new potential customer with SM.

When I challenged this with SM they informed me that they give this information out as to who the potential bidders are. This still does not sound correct and sounds a bit flaky.

One of these days I am going to use SM to request a HI just to find out.
icon_confused.gif

--
Michael Patton
AA Home Inspection
Serving Northern KY & Greater Cincinnati OH

AA@AAHomeInspection.net
www.AAHomeInspection.net

Originally Posted By: jmyers

It looks as thought SM is turning customers into real price shoppers. I say no thanks! I would rather not work than work for free.

Thanks for sharing that experience with us Michael.

Joe Myers