Letter to Agents from the Kansas Association of Realtors

This code of ethics is a joke.

Item 4 requires that, upon the request of the client’s commissioned real estate salesman (who represents him) that I provide a copy of the report whether the client approves or not. What kind of BS is that?

Item 8 allows the Board to take away your right to work if, while investigating another home inspector they discover that you knew of his rule violation and did not turn him in.

Whose a ss did you guys pull this POS out of?

The thing is, I went to Tom L’s school, was an ASHI member, passed the NHIE and ASHI COE exams, etc. There aren’t really any barriers to me getting my license.
Like I wrote before, I’m just being contrary.
I was upset about the costs involved with the insurance, but from what I’ve heard, those have come way down too.

Funny story, I talked to another inspector yesterday (waiting on his approval) and he told me the rates on his insurance. I asked him how he got them so low, and he told me that he has a $2500 deductible.
I asked him when he was ever going to use the insurance, since he was only liable for $2000, and his deductible was higher than that.
He responded that he never thought of it that way…

I hate insurance, but now that they’ve officially made it $2k, there are other ways around it that I couldn’t afford when it was $10k.
Guess I’ll get started with the process…](*,):-&:roll:

Jim Bushart -

Read Post #19. I believe the KHIRB Chairman wrote the COE. I think if you pull up ASHI’s COE, you’ll find the framework used for these in Kansas.

James Braun -

Stacey spent 7 years in ASHI; 5 years in NAHI; and joined NACHI when Nick had him Speak at the ANNUAL NACHI Convention in Florida 4-5 years ago. I just checked on the web and you’re right, he’s not currently on the rolls with ANY of the 3 associations.

Four of us from KC went to John McKenna’s IR class (sponsored by NACHI) in Boulder back in Spring of 2007. Stacey was one of the four. Several of us went out drinking with Nick, and Stacey was still a NACHI member then. This past year has been so slow here, combined with his divorce and I’m guessing he’s simply not been able to afford to renew his membership in NACHI.

Andrew -

When did you go to school at Midwest??

December '01

OK - I just went to the sight to fill out my application, and it still says that I’m liable for $10k.
What’s up with that?
Now not only does the law not agree with itself, the KHRIB doesn’t agree with the KAR?
Guess I need to make a phone call…

Keep us update on your adventures of becoming a Kansas licensed home inspector. I wonder how much worse can it get. LOL

Andy -

The Bill originally said $10,000. I argued for 4-5 days in Senate hearings about the UNFAIRNESS of that. Several Senators agreed and voted to change it to $2,000.

When the recorders OR revisors office entered it - Supposedly they made a MISTAKE and changed the wording to $2,000 in 2 PLACES, but FORGOT to change it in 2 OTHER places in the Bill.

Therefore 2 places say $2,000 / 2 places say $10,000.

Take your choice. Its SUPPOSEDLY being changed to $2,000 in the OTHER 2 places this season.

So it actually did not get changed in three places, the website. LOL!

I was aware of the discrepancy, which is why I spent a couple hours on the phone with the State the other day being shuffled from one department to another trying to get some clarification, without any luck.

It’s also why I hadn’t signed up. I am not in the habit of giving my money to people who have the force of Government backing them, without any oversight from said Government.

I was doing a good job convincing the agents that I have known for years that the law was a bunch of crap, and had their support until this letter came out.
I can’t ask them to jeopardize their livelihood by going outside what has been dictated to them, even if I am willing to.

So, I’m out $600 in lost inspections so far this week, and no closer to being registered.
I figured since the KAR put $2k in writing, that it must be a done deal.
I won’t sign a document that says I’m liable for $10k when I’m really only liable for $2k.

I have phone numbers from the KHIRB website to start calling in the morning, and try to get the application changed.
Which would be more productive, to start at the top and work my way down, or start at the bottom and work my way up?
I don’t know any of these guys, so what do you all think?

I guess if I don’t get anywhere with that, I can just edit out the $10k parts, and put in $2k.

So…this session of the Kansas Congress…is it the one where Moe sprayed seltzer water at Larry but missed, and hit Curlie instead…prompting the pie throwing episode? I think I saw that one.

Andy -

Let me try to clear this for you or anyone else reading this. Calling the state is wasting both their time and your time. Calling the KHIRB is the same.

The address in Topeka where you send your application to, is an accounting firm I’m told that collects the $$$, deposits it, scans or copies the original applications, then keeps a set and forwards a set to the KHIRB’s main location, which I’ve been told is somewhere in Wichita.

If you’ll also notice there seems to be no published phone number for the KHIRB out in Topeka where you’re sending your $$$ and application. I was told by one of the Kansas Board members the accounting firm is setting up a phone line connected to an answering machine for the KHIRB. That way every few days they can check the phonemate, collect messages and forward them onto KHIRB’s main location, which I’ve been told is somewhere in Wichita.

Your BEST bet if you have complaints is to SEND written correspondence by registered mail to the Governor, the AG’s office, any media you feel is applicable, any legislator you feel may be sympathetic (Senator Tom Holland and Senator Kare Brownlee may listen) and your own attorney.

Kansas delayed for months publishing the FINAL bill language. As soon as myself and other discovered the mistake we started calling the state AG’s office, Senators, House members, etc. We were politely told - SORRY, it was our recorder OR revisors fault in not recording it correctly, BUT we can’t change it till NEXT legislative session. The legislature is supposed to be changing it this time.

Andrew -

Here are the Senate Journal pages on the VOTING for the $2,000 versus $10,000. As you can see BOTH Senate & House approved the change.

I bet the only way a cleanup bill will be passed is if some eye gouging is performed because you got to be blind to vote to cleanup a licensing bill that has failed miserably from day one.

Thanks very much Dan, this was the type of info I needed.
I also meant to tell you how much I appreciate the fact that you went and testified to lower the amount to something half way reasonable.

So basically we’re screwed until they get it straightened out.
I called and wrote the Governor and the AG when they were originally trying to pass the law, but that didn’t really do any good.
I can see that I am going to have to go with Jim and the other guys to Jeff City and argue in person about the MO law.
I think most likely it will get passed anyway, but I’ll feel like I did something more than what I did in KS.

I think if you told about your experience trying to get a Kansas license to the house committee, this should help stop the MO bill.

My wife and I are also licensed RE agents in MO, and I know a lot of Libertarian/Anarchist leaning agents, so maybe if they hear agents speaking out against it…
Who knows?

Screw it, I have to get a $million$ in E&O to do work for HUD.
Maybe I’ll just do that.
Then I’ll be too busy to do the other inspections! :smiley:

I know anything that you can do will be appreciated.
I have never found any government inspection work that ever paid with a darn.

There is truth in that.
It definitely has to be a volume thing.

http://www.kslegislature.org/legsrv-bills/searchBillNumber.do

For your reading pleasure, Andrew. SB 329 is still in play. Read all of the fiscal notes of the bill. If this passes, perhaps all of the Kansas laws will be repealed.