Licensing in Florida & Uniform Mitigation Inspections

Does anyone know if NACHI certified inspectors are going to be grandfathered in Florida when the new licensing law takes effect in July 2010/ and has NACHI tried to have NACHI certified inspectors approved to provide Uniform Mitigation Inspections in Florida?

Jose’

There is nothing in the law grandfathering its requirements to members of InterNACHI. Is that what you are asking?

There is nothing in the law about any grandfathering at this point. As of the latest news, licensing may be pused back to 2012 or even 2014. Be aware that the WCE’s are trying to take over the home inspection business in Florida.

NACHI is not and probably will not be approved to do the Wind Mitigations inspections

There should be a grandfathering clause in the bill. It should be amended.

So what are you waiting for??

As it stands right now the bill is merely a shell, none of the nitty-gritty has been written, I was told that will be done by the DBPR which means it will most likely be postponed once again.

Of course all that could change overnight if the the WCE’s are successful in taking over our profession, they have a bill before the house & senate (HB359 & SB1134) where these back-door provisions could be added prior to it being sent to the Governor.

That ship has already sailed.
There is a list that the insurance companies have and send out to their Clients. On that list, is who qualifies to perform WM inspections.
They are:
A Florida licensed general,residential, or building contractor
A licensed building inspector
A registered architect
An engineer in the State of Florida or
A building code official (who is duly authorized by the State of Florida or its municipalities to verify building compliance).

That was the list I got from Citizens.
I have written several letters regarding grandfathering as it pertains to the home inspection license. They are “working on it”.

I have said it before and I will say it again, but no one wants to hear it. If the licensing bill went through in 2003, and all of you guys fought against it, we would not be in the mess we are in now. We all would have been able to do these wind mitigation forms, 4 point and roof inspections. The WCE’s probably never would have been formed because there would have been no need for them.

I think it is interesting that 55% voted that INACHI inspectors should not be grandfathered.

One reason is the question is too association specific. Why should only iNachi inspectors be grandfathered? I used to write surveys in the Navy for command effectiveness assessments. How the questions are written can easily skew the results. One rule was never write a question you already know the answer to like “Do you think you get paid enough?” Another is do not write a question for something you can nothing about changing.

NACHI guys figure they are going to get the sh!ty end of the stick so they figure everyone else should have to jump through the same hoop too, no mystery.

I have written both governors, Bush and Christ, and at least Bush was smart enough to have grandfathering in for everyone who was in business. That is how it is supposed to work and that is how it has always been.

The only reason that current inspectors have to meet the same qualifications as new inspectors, is to generate revenue in order to pay for this law. It is a cat and mouse game…only, that cat and mouse are stuffed on a merry-go-round!

By the way, does anyone know what approved courses are available?:mrgreen:

Joe,
It looks like HB359 has to do with condo’s and wind mitigation, not home inspector control. Have I missed something? and the sb has to do with sales tax
http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=40273&SessionIndex=-1&SessionId=61&BillText=&BillNumber=359&BillSponsorIndex=0&BillListIndex=0&BillStatuteText=&BillTypeIndex=0&BillReferredIndex=0&HouseChamber=H&BillSearchIndex=0

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=40651&SessionIndex=-1&SessionId=61&BillText=&BillNumber=1134&BillSponsorIndex=0&BillListIndex=0&BillStatuteText=&BillTypeIndex=0&BillReferredIndex=0&HouseChamber=S&BillSearchIndex=0

Nothing is approved, the law the way it stands now is a shell with no filling. The DBPR has been assigned to fill the shell with the regulations, testing, CEU’s and courses. Until they make an announcement… effectively there is no licensing in Florida for home inspectors.

If an entity (like the WCE’s) are really attempting to take over our profession they have to do it through legislation. There are a few nefarious lobbyists in Tallahassee who might attempt to add midnight additions to this otherwise benign bill just like the mold amendments were added to the home inspector bill. This is just something to watch if it gets out of committee.

Hopefully we will see a favorable outcome that will be beneficial to the inspectors.

I just called Rich Workman’s(state rep) office to discuss these issues. If I can get a meeting does anyone want to attend? It is in Rockledge, Brevard County.

YES !!!, I would attend.

Jose’

Just got off the phone with Workman’s office HB359 will not make it. I will call Plaken’s office about the others later.

Scuttlebutt is that the WCE program in regards to free wind inspections is dead… So it is doubtful that the WCE’s will survive. I do not believe that the state was very satisfied with the results of the program and it appears that Senator Justice might have come to the conclusion that the WCE program was a violation of the Unfair Trade Act.