Lifespan of Roofing Screws?

John Paul has been around our forum for years (whether CMI or CPI or other) and is very capable of understanding how to narrate.
(I saw your post before you deleted it.)

3 Likes

Thank you Larry. In my opinion you are one of the best on this forum.

Learning to wordsmith is like learning a new trade.

1 Like

I agree, the nomenclature can be tough at times for someone who has not worked in the trades. Good to see Larry Kage “back in the saddle again.”

2 Likes

Ya know, we never really addressed this. My opinion, depending on region or climate, I would say 20 years is about the end of their life. I cannot think of a single roof of that age (15-20 yrs) I have been on that did not have some neoprene washer degradation.

1 Like

Just gotta spend the big bucks!!!

40 year warranty!

5 Likes

I have seen those as well. They are superior in that the neoprene lasts longer, however I have observed they have a smaller “footprint” and are easily misaligned. Not very forgiving. I am not sure they are superior.

3 Likes

Thanks, not familiar with them, will look at the link you provided.

1 Like

I noticed :laughing:
Lots of good advice on the MB.
I wrote 15-30 years, but the gaskets are hardened, so they are nearing the end of their serviceable life expectancy.

The new tenant will be a grower, so any leaks could cause mold or mildew and ruin an expensive crop.

1 Like

Man, times-a-changin’

1 Like

Actually, NO, they have arrived at and are aleady PAST their estimated useful lifespan!

1 Like

Bryce, please see my PM.

Your post addressed my specifically, so I thought that I would answer it.

IMO, bad statement about service life. Exposed screw metal roofs have a number of chronic issues that result in leakage. Like said, hardened gaskets and out of place screws to start. The expansion/contraction of the metal causes the screws to ream the holes bigger, another source of leakage.

Of course, all metal roof penetrations (sewer vents etc) use a caulk dependent boot. Exposed screw metal roofs are pole barn roofs, not residential roofs. Improper valley installation, improper roof edge details, improper side wall and end wall flashing; those are other issues often seen with metal roofs.

For a home with a metal roof, raised seam is the only way to go. Hidden fasteners! As a HI, I write hard with exposed fastener metal roofs. Otherwise, from my experience as a builder, stick with shingles.

2 Likes
1 Like

Gasket dependent if you are using the right boot.

Yes sir!

I would recommend the same but cost, available materials or qualified installers is a barrier in some areas. Especially rural areas. Like any roof, a screw down exposed fastener roof has maintenance issues. Standing seam reduces these maintenance issues significantly.

4 Likes