Lightning arrestor and surge protector wiring

I went to Home Depot and Lowe’s today to buy these items just so I can have the manufactures directions on how to install them. I see many of them wired directly to the main lugs. I do not think that is proper. Can anyone direct me to the place where I can find the wiring directions to these items. I used search engines and could not find the wiring diagram or instructions. Thanks in advance for the help.

Leviton 51120-x whole house surge protector:

Delta lightning arrestors…
http://www.deltala.com/installa.htm

From what I can see surge protectors cannot be attached to the main lugs and the lighting arrestor is to be attached to the main lugs.

I guess I will have to look up on a case by case basis. Thanks for the info, it was very kind of you.

This section, from the 2008 NEC, would prohibit double tapping the mains in most cases since those lugs are typically rated for only one conductor.

It used to be common around here that the arrestor was attached to the lugs on the main disconnect. In all new installations they are now connecting them to a circuit breaker.

I ran across this yesterday. Sorry the writing on the device is not very legible. I can’t imagine this thing even working. A plastic device on the outside of the service panel with 3 conductors tapped directly to a 200 amp main breaker. Are you kidding me? Please tell me why I should be convinced this works.

This does NOT address you question but around here, the local power company will install these devices on your home to provide those protections for $4.95 a month. The other good thing is they will then put you into their system for the lowest rates…all the time. It will installed correctly and you get off the highest rates and into a lower cost per kilowatt rate. I would surprised they did not have something like that across the State as energy conscience as FL is. They will also do a FREE energy audit, install a new thermostat and some other energy saving features. They do all kinds of wacky things here…buy any old refrigerators, freezers to keep them out of the land fills, will pay for a new water heater if you currently have gas and will convert over…to name a few. There may be a similar program in your area.