Lightning protection

Originally Posted By: bandrews
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I found a triangle shaped device in a main panel today that was listed as a suare D lightning protection device. I have never seen one of these before. It had two black wires and one white wire. One black was connected above the main, the other black was connected to one pole of a two pole breaker at the top of the panel and the white wire was connected to the neutral. What is the correct way to install one of these devices.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

Nope.

Each black wire should be connected to a bus bar (how you do that is not by double tapping). With the correct terminals, the bus bar could be drilled and tapped - only as approved by the panelboard manufacturer. Or, you could install a molded case switch or double pole breakers, highest AIC you can find, then connect the surge protector to it.

The white wire is supposed to be kept as short as possible and goes directly to the neutral terminal bar.

The device itself should be OUTSIDE the panel. It probably had a threaded hub in the other end where the wires come out. This goes through a knock out and a lock nut holds it in place.

I forgot, these are one of those 'one hit wonders', 'they can only take one hit, so you wonder if they've been hit.'

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: roconnor

jpeck wrote:
The device itself should be OUTSIDE the panel.

And why is that? (couldn't resist Jerry ... lol).

--
Robert O'Connor, PE
Eagle Engineering ?
Eagle Eye Inspections ?
NACHI Education Committee

I am absolutely amazed sometimes by how much thought goes into doing things wrong