Lime and Vineger Insulation

Originally Posted By: phinsperger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I was in a course that had a small blerb about something that has been rattiling around in my head ever since. One of the topics was insulation and the presentor bought in some small samples. One of which was a do-it-yourself insulation made from lime and vinegar used many years ago. It was hard and foam looking. Several weeks after without knowing the quantities or additional ingredits I tried to mix vineger and hyrated lime with a soupy mess as the result. Lime being a base of course acted with the vineger just like baking soda and vineger. The foam soon disipaded and the slop never hardend.

Does anyone know any additional information surrounding this type of insulation?

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: rpalac

I called some insulation manufactures I looked up on the web. At best I got a couple of chuckles.

Noe one had any inclin of what I was talking abouit.

(I tried, I was hoping to learn something myself)

Originally Posted By: Guest

OK, I posted a tongue in cheek reply to this on Inspection News.

Lime juice is not a base, it's quite the opposite. Lime juice has a pH of 1.8-2.0 making it quite acid. Maybe the secret ingredient you're looking for is the base. Maybe you're supposed to use lime zest. Maybe it was a souffl?, and not insulation.
I have to ask.... why?
OK, I'm done now, Chad

Originally Posted By: phinsperger

Chad,

I wasn't taking about lime juice. I was talking about Hydrated Lime. It is a white powder with a high percentage of Calcium Hydroxide. Commercial hydrated lime is a dry powder obtained by treating quicklime (calcium oxide) with sufficient water to satisfy its chemical affinity for water, thereby converting the oxides to hydroxides. Its used in Mortar, plasters, cements, calcium salts, causticizing soda, white wash, soil conditioner, disinfectant, water softening, purification of sugar juices, accelelator for low grade rubber compounds, petrochemicals, food additive, as buffer and neutralizing agent. It is also used to make white wash. Chemically it contains;

Ca (OH) 2 > 95 %
CaCO3 < 3 %
H2O Free =< 0,6 %
SiO2 =< 0,5 %
Fe2O3 =< 0,1 %
Al2O3 =< 0.2 %

I can go on but sufficent to say that we are not talking about squeezing the juices out our little green friend.

Also I do not know if it is hyrdated lime that was used. It may have been quicklime, high calcium lime, dolomitic lime I don't know.

Crossposted to INSPECTIONNEWS.COM

--

Paul Hinsperger
Hinsperger Inspection Services
Chairman - NACHI Awards Committee
Place your Award Nominations
here !

Originally Posted By: Guest

lmao… thank goodness, Sorry, I just wasn’t thinking straight.

I was wondering why the vinegar reacted w/ the lime. Geez

Ok, I'm done now, Chad