Living in squalor....

I couldn’t believe my eyes at this particular home. This 1500 sq. ft. Hell Hole took me about 4 hours to inspect. How the hell can a family live like this and stay healthy? It’s beyond me…

This is the main starway…They never heard of a vacuum.

“Click to Enlarge”

This is the Bathroom…

“Click to Enlarge”

This is the front entry stairs…

“Click to Enlarge”

I’ve got more…

Dave

Our profession introduces us to all sides of the human being

Some live bad because they don’t care

Some live bad because they have to

I try not to judge because I have walked in both sets of boots

rlb

We did a home last month and it was the worst we had ever done. The house was only 8 years old One room in the basement had so many full garbage in it the door would no longer close the door. Had a water softener empty salt bags over 40 .
They have free garbage pick up every week and looks like never used .
Well the afternoon inspection was even worse .
They rented a 800 + sq foot house 6 people and a pit bull who had never in my openion been out in 3 years.
Smell so bad Char could not stay in the home.
Dirty clothes almost 30 inches I had too walk on to get to the electric.
service.
The purchaser had in his offer it was to be broom clean on closing . The seller offered him $7,000;00 of if he would take it uncleaned .
He refused ( Smart Move ).
Yes I to wonder how people can live like this .
If I never get an inspection like these two again I will be pleased.
… Cookie

The real problem is that kids and old people are the ones that are found in these places

Where are the people that care??

rlb

No one over 35 in the two I did. one Baby

… Cookie

You found true dirt

We have members of our animal species that have some genetic flaws and that is also sad.

rlb

Unfortunately they keep reproducing and we keep paying them to sit at home and have more Kids.
No one worked in the second home.
The dog terrified me and I love and get along with most dogs.

I was glad when it was over went home took all my clothes of in garage put them in the washer and had a shower

… Cookie

The worst I ever did was an 800-SF condo. There were three of us doing the inspection because we were told that the place was in poor condition and would take a long time to inspect. It wasn’t that the place was in poor condition, it was just full of cats and cat poop. Cat poop everywhere–floor, beds, countertops, sinks, tables… Absolutely the most disgusting place I’ve ever been in. The lady was 83, and the HOA was forcing her out (HOA’s here in California have a lot of power). The HOA President, who was there at the inspection, told us that she had about 50 cats living inside. The stench was so bad that we smelled it in the parking lot as we parked about four condos away. We didn’t know where the smell was coming from; we just thought there was a sewer plant close by. After the inspection, everyone went home and took showers. I threw my clothes away; I could have washed those clothes a hundred times and still not gotten that stench out of them.

I had one in San Antonio that was an investor special. Tenants sleeping inside, refused to get up for the inspection. I started with the exterior, many concerns, structural and otherwise. When I went inside it was dark so I located the light switch and flicked it on. Words can not describe the filth. From the front entry the living room and kitchen were visible. There were dirty dishes and partially eaten meals scattered all over the place. The rats and roaches didn’t even flinch when I turned on the light. I turned around and left and told the client I couldn’t complete the inspection due to health risk. The worst part was the tricycle in the front yard, that meant at least one child was living in that hell hole.

Hello Gents!

You have just described 98% of all meth labs I have been in. Whilst squalor doesn’t necessarily equal meth, meth almost always equals squalor. I busted a meth house about two weeks ago, and nearly gagged at the sight (thanks to the respirator, I couldn’t smell anything). By contrast, I busted a marijuana grow last weekend, (which also included other drugs and a baby) in an otherwise very nice house (see photo).

Squalid living conditions are one of the visual indicators for identifying clandestine drug labs, meth labs, and meth houses. Even drug houses that may not meet your State’s definition of a “drug lab,” may still contain elevated levels of meth, LSD, and a variety of chemical and biological exposure issues.

Although I have thousands of photos from drug labs that will never see the light of day, if someone is interested in drug lab photos, I have posted many such photos at:
http://www.forensic-applications.com/meth/recognition.html

I’m currently getting, on average, about one lab every two weeks (about 30 in 2006). Yesterday, I received a subpoena to testify later this week in a criminal case (in an undisclosed State) involving kids in a meth house. Plenty of time to slay some dragons!

Cheers!
Caoimhín P. Connell

(The opinions expressed here are exclusively my personal opinions and do not necessarily reflect my professional opinion, opinion of my employer, agency, peers, or professional affiliates. The above post is for information only and does not reflect professional advice and is not intended to supercede the professional advice of others.)

AMDG

Censoredsm.jpg

Wow Caoimhín,

Love the photo, real classy. I remembering seeing ‘low-scale’ * operations recycling old wall compound buckets. The colors are pretty here.

As for the condition of homes based on the drug they are manufacturing, I’ve seen it too. You can notice some items like crack and pcp are average people and ‘clean’. While pot growers, being their product takes time to mature and enviroment effects the product; they try to stay very low key and their homes are usually very well kept. Now ice-heads, they don’t care. The product is cheap to make, extremely effective, and its side-effects lend towards messy homes.

FYI: A home can be cleaned up, carpets can be replaced, but don’t forget to go with your gut feelings about your safety.

tom*

Dave;
I hope you did a quick 180 and said SeeYaaaaaa

Hey, Patrick.

You left NACHI when you left San Antonio?

Glad to see you, though.

The best part of working for myself is that I can just say no!

Yes except the peson you are trying to help is not the culprit.
I too will walk away from a miserable client and did this week.

… Cookie

Once I was called to talk about adding to a couple’s home. When I got there, they showed me a totally empty living room, a totally empty dining room, two totally empty bedrooms, and a master bedroom which had a bed on one wall, and a mountain of clothes piled against the other wall. When we sat down to discuss my services, they let two dogs into the kitchen, ripped open a 25 pound bag of kibbles, and let the dogs have at it. Kibbles flew under the range, under the dishwasher, under the refrigerator and under my feet.

Needless to say, I didn’t send them a proposal as I had promised. After about three weeks they called me to ask where my proposal was. I said “gee, I sent it, I don’t know what could have happened to it…I’ll send another copy.” I didn’t send that one either.

[quote=Richard A. Hetzel]
Once I was called to talk about adding to a couple’s home. When I got there, they showed me a totally empty living room, a totally empty dining room, two totally empty bedrooms, and a master bedroom which had a bed on one wall, and a mountain of clothes piled against the other wall. When we sat down to discuss my services, they let two dogs into the kitchen, ripped open a 25 pound bag of kibbles, and let the dogs have at it. Kibbles flew under the range, under the dishwasher, under the refrigerator and under my feet.

Needless to say, I didn’t send them a proposal as I had promised. After about three weeks they called me to ask where my proposal was. I said “gee, I sent it, I don’t know what could have happened to it…I’ll send another copy.” I didn’t send that one either./quote

I think I would have handled that differently .
I would have said ,Sorry I did not get back to you but it might be better
if you where to find some one else to do a propasal for you.
No explanation no telling a fib just refuse and do not get in a discusion.

… Cookie

Drugs, alcoholism, depression, Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, mental illness, any combination of these… many things can damage a person so badly that they just don’t care anymore or don’t understand.

I have walked out of places

Did you leave some vowels behind? Sorry, Thomas. I know you’ve heard it before, but I just couldn’t resist. Welcome to NACHI on your 14th post.