LOad Calculations

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Russel

You did a great job. Ditto.

Dennis
You also eluded to "selling your service to your client". If you are planning on that, you may also need another attorney to defend your conflict of interest practice. Most of the standards prohibit that activity.
The standards of practice that are in place for most of the industry are, like codes, minimum requirements. There wouldn't be anything preventing you from offering a "higher" level of inspection for the electrical system if you chose to do so. You could also offer expert electrical inspections exclusively.
I don't believe that what Russel wrote had anything to do with liking you or not. I do believe he told you the truth. Be thankful that somebody did before you spent alot of money and learned it the hard way.
I, too, have enjoyed your posts on a couple of bb's. All of us need all the help we can get from time to time. I also encourage you to hang around.

Originally Posted By: Dennis Bozek

I choose not to continue the debate on this subject. However, I do thank all of you for taking the time to respond. In regards to me leaving this career or stopping any further input goes, I do not intend to do either.

Dennis

--
This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

Originally Posted By: dleavitt

As a very new member into this industry and coming from over 30 years in all the construction fields, I have found this entire dialog very interesting.

I agree with most all of every one’s statements.

I have always found that when I hear or read something I do not entirely agree with, I then will only take in what is good for me and leave the rest alone.

We are all right from are own perspectives.

I am glad to have such passionate people in an industry like this to have as resources.

Keep up the thoughts coming. icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: jmcginnis

David … just so you know… Russ and Dennis are now best of buds and have online margaritas together every friday…

Originally Posted By: rray

It does kind of appear that way, doesn’t it Jack.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

In reality, it appears that you guys have developed a “mutual respect” for each other and your respective experiences and opinions… I think “respect” should always be the order of the day on these BBs…I myself feel like I’ve made some friends here…and I am always amazed at how willing guys are to share their knowledge…as a young electrician during the stone age icon_biggrin.gif it was always like pulling teeth to get the “old” guys to give you info on anything…I really appreciate the input and discusssion that goes on here…I always learn something new…

Except that I don’t drink…I now guzzle!! icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

This information has been edited and reviewed for errors by your favorite resident sparky.

I always guzzled, except Shiner beer.

Home inspections. . . .

One home at a time.

I know that feeling Jack. Being one of them old guys now though, I am happy to shed my experience unto others, especially in my field. The problem today though is kids just want that paycheck and then off to party with it. Seems like the kids today all want to be white collar. it is tough anymore trying to find some kids what want to be a lectrician or a plumber or even a carpenter. The trades have really suffered for experienced people as of late. Those with experience are either content where they are or are retired or became a HI icon_lol.gif. The company I work for has been trying to promote the “trades” in some of the local high schools. Most of these kids that come into that program are very green. We send them to school to learn the trade as an apprentice and most drop out in the first 6 months. They say it is too hard to do !

Nevertheless, and maybe it's me, but it seems their retention level is non existent. I showed a kid once how to tie a edison like 10 times and when it came to be his time to do it on his own, he did it right like 4 out of 7 times. I cannot understand that at all.

Come Friday afternoon at 4pm, it's like pulling teeth to try and get a kid to stay a few hours over to finish up a job. It seems like us old timers have the best work ethics and desire to keep on learning. I'd give my next paycheck to get a kid to work with me that actually tries as I am sure us old timers did when we were his age. It's sad as well to see what the unions put out there today. Even they suffer with this kid syndrome. It has been predicted here in Ohio that in 10 years, a old relic electrician like me will be able to write my own ticket.....purely based on the fact that as the old timers get older.....there aren't any young bucks there to take their place.

--

Dennis… believe me… I know… finding just a few good kids in my electrical classes was rare…the number one complaint from the employers that hired our grads was that they didn’t even show up half the time… add to the problem the fact that most kids, parents and guidance counselors view vocational education as second or third class education…they usually don’t send the academically gifted kids to vo-tech not even the academically average kids…we usually got the kids who were discipline problems or just plain couldn’t do the academic work in their regular high school…well, guess I have drifted away here on this thread… es mi culpa… by the way Dennis… by the time we old guys can write our own ticket as you say… the Good Lord will be punching ours…

Jack,

Agreed!

We got a kid the other day that didn't know the difference between a standard and phillips screwdriver! Don't they have classes in high school to teach kids that stuff? Lordy...I think we all are in for a rude awakening in the very near future!

--

Dennis Bozek wrote:
Don't they have classes in high school to teach kids that stuff?

No. They teach them how to use computers, at which point they get bored and start hacking or writing viruses and worms.

--
Home inspections. . . .
One home at a time.